Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dean edge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, May 8, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    what do you think about the dean edge 4? is it active or passive? pros and cons if you have played one...thanks!

------------------
    Life's a bowl of punch, just go ahead and spike it. -311

2. dabluesman

dabluesman Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Tennessee
    I asked the same question when I first registered here. I was mainly told that Dean look nice but go with a MIM Fender, if you look hard enough you can find one for under $300. I hope this helps.

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yeah. but i like the sound of the soapbars...i also hate fender

------------------
    Life's a bowl of punch, just go ahead and spike it. -311

4. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm pretty sure they make 'em both active and passive.

I think it's a pretty decent bass for the money. Not the best value though. Just be prepared to take a bath if you ever sell it.

Dave

5. dynis

dynis

May 3, 2000
    The Edge 4 has passive EMG pickups. This bass beats the MIM Jazz in every way. If you want a well made....great playing and sounding bass to play...then this is a good choice. If you are worried about resale value...then go with the Fender. It's hard to overcome the Fender prejudice.... [​IMG]

6. Tom14454

Tom14454

Feb 5, 2000
    I personally own a black one and I have say it has the coolest tone for a low-mid priced bass. The hardest thing about it trying to slap because the bridge is a little screwy

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gman:
    I'm pretty sure they make 'em both active and passive.

I think it's a pretty decent bass for the money. Not the best value though. Just be prepared to take a bath if you ever sell it.

Dave
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't "pretty decent for the money" the definition of a good value?

8. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dynis:
    The Edge 4 has passive EMG pickups. This bass beats the MIM Jazz in every way. If you want a well made....great playing and sounding bass to play...then this is a good choice. If you are worried about resale value...then go with the Fender. It's hard to overcome the Fender prejudice.... :)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EMG doesn't make passive pickups, unless you're talking about the "Select" series. The Dean may come without active tone controls though. To me, in general there are two types of basses: Fender-style and non-Fender-style, Dean being the latter. If you want a Fender style bass, don't buy a Dean. Finally, how much resale value do you expect on a $500 bass?? Bob

9. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Bob C,

I would reply with quotation, but for some reason, that option pi**es me off. We really do read ALL the replies. No matter how many times you post the same one. [​IMG]

My definition of a good value is when you can get even a good portion of your money back if you sell it. You pay $450 for the Dean, play it a year, you sell it for what, $250, maybe. Buy a Fender MIM for $300 pay it for 3 years, sell it for $250. What is the better investment. I'm not a Fender fan, that's just the way it is.

What I meant by "pretty decent for the money", was if you want THAT style of bass, new, then I don't think its overpriced.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Gman (edited May 09, 2000).]

10. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Well, I'm back - to say that I recently learned that EMG DOES make passive pickups called (I think) HZ Series. They are not sold separately, but come on Deans, and a few other basses? This learned on a recent visit to EMG's web site. Who knew? Obviously, not me.

Bob

11. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I love the Dean Edge basses. I'm buying one friday. I'm getting the Q4 model. That's the one with active EMG pickups and a quilted maple top. If you're going to get a Dean Edge, I suggest paying the little extra for the active pickups. But that's my opinion. I'd never rule getting a Fender, but right now the Dean suits what I need in a bass, so I'm getting it.

Dirk

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    If your gonna get a Dean Edge spend the few extra bucks & get a Dean Edge Q4,5,6. I tried out a Edge Q5 & wish i had the money & a good enough amp to handle it. my bxr only goes to 60hz. the low b is around either 31 or 50something.I think John Turner would know this one along with a bunch of the other people.Oh yeah & they're inconsistent from bass to bass i tried the blue one [i tried the red & loved it] & it felt close but not quite.Buy the one that feels good if you have the money if you don't save up to get the one that feels the best.

13. If you're looking at the Edge basses take a look at an Edge Custom. The workmanship, woods, hardware, and electronics are better than the Q basses, and you can get the 4-string for about $550 with tax and case. It's a definite step up.

14. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    I bought my Dean Edge 5 for $325 brand new on-the-road. Kept it one year and sold it for $285. I'd say that's a reasonable resale value.

Dave

15. I purchased an early 90's Dean Edge. It was used at guitar center and on clearence for $200.

It was my first mid-price instrument and an upgrade from my Squire.

Sonicaly the bass has really good tone. I like the long scale neck and to me the neck feels better than that of an MIM P-Bass.

I like the sounds of the pick-ups and to me, sounds quite loud for being a passive instrument.

My PUP's do not say EMG on them, but I belive this to have been built before they started using EMG for pick-ups.

The only problem that I seem to have with the instrument is its ability to stay in tune.

The tuners are very touchy and after playing about 3 or 4 metal songs it goes slightly sharp or flat and I have to re-tune. So if anyone gets one upgrade the tuners.

Ive had to take it in to get set-up twice. The action is a bit high on it and I cant seem to get it any lower without getting fret buzz.

I would say upgrade the tuners. I have since gotten an older G&L SB-2 and prefer the neck, action and tone of it over the Dean.

The Dean as served me well though and I would suggest it as a back up or good entry level. I prefer it over MIM Fenders and Epiphone thunderbirds.

16. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Colorado
    It used to be Dean Edge 4 and Dean Edge 5 were passive EMG Hz. The Dean Edge 1 4 and Dean Edge 1 5 were active. The easiest way to tell was the Edge Series had 3 knobs the Dean Edge 1 series had 4 knobs. Some of the Deans came with Bartolinis(This is the bass I would recomend). This has been a few years ago and I'm old so my memory might be clouded but I think this is correct.
    I owened a Dean Edge 1 5 fretless $370 brand new(in 2002) with a Hardshell Dean Case. The active electronics sounded O.K. but Seemed weak, I always thought the battery was going dead. The Basswood body was nice and light, the neck felt great but the string spacing was a bit tight for me. The Tuners and Hardware seemed cheap. Not a bad cheap bass but look for one used and with the Bart Pickups(fatter more defined notes). I just saw a mint Dean edge 5 Fretless at a store here in town $250.00 I think it had a gig bag, $250.00! How could you go wrong!

17. passive emgs sound like basslines. Go SD. Buy an MIM fender and change the pups out for a different soap bar sound.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My first fretless was a Dean Edge 5 back when they were passive (they are now active I think). It was and is an outstanding bass. Highly recommended. Good looking and good sounding with good hardware and fit and finish.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Um. Yes, they do. They are labelled EMG-HZ and are OEM on many low/mid priced basses. The older passive Dean Edge basses had these pickups and they sound really good. The newer active Edge basses have "Dean" branded pickups and don't sound as good IMO (but others like them just as much).