Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean electric upright bass (coming up)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Mar 9, 2004.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I poked around at http://www.deanguitars.com/ and found that they are going to release an electric upright bass. What do you think about that? It might be an interesting instrument and i'm looking forward to see and play this thing.

/MrBaloo

2. heres hopin its cheap.
    Looks awful simple.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I played the Dean EUB at the winter 04 show and it was not bad at all.and it will be available for under a Grand.

theres a little more info on it at
    12stringbass.net read the Mick Donner Interview

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Shame that you can't play it arco.

5. i was thinking the same thing

ive been waiting for someone to make an affordable EUB. seems like dean has the right idea, but a pizzo only eub just wont cut it for me and many others im sure.

heres to hoping that another company follows suite and adds arco-ability (or maybe even dean would offer a model that can be played arco)

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Check out Jesse Oneil's EUB's at ergoinstruments.com
    you can play them Arco and Pizzicato and his 5 string models are under $800.00

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

ive been waiting for someone to make an affordable EUB. seems like dean has the right idea, but a piezo only eub just wont cut it for me and many others im sure.

So, you looking for a 42 inch scale and magnetic pickup, or ??? How's that work out string-wise anyway? Seems like the Lightwave system would be good for EURB, eh? I realize the Dean is not full-scale, which is maybe unfortunate too.

An EURB that doesn't do arco seems pointless to me, hope Dean changes that.

8. So true. One can play a fretless electric if don't need arco. :meh:

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    not exactly, but I see where you might be coming from. There are definite timbral differences between a 34-36 incher and a 41.5-42 incher. The note speads out differently as they decay on longer scale opposed to short scale... I guess it is a matter of mwah-preference, technique and taste.

I have to say those Rob Allen's get a cool upright-like tone, very accessible for those desiring a 34 inch scale non-arco. I heard the Zeta's (even the 'cross-over' model) can be played arco.

As for Jesse's basses (ergoinstruments.com), I think that DonZ has one of his uprights (appears in his avatar)... I really want to try out the 8-string (dual course) upright electric bass that Regi Wooten owns... That has got to be a fun instrument to record with.

10. i said pizzo*. not piezo. ;)

*as in pizzicato

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    DC,

The 4's and 5's EURB that Jesse (ergoinstruments.com) makes are around $700-800, not bad eh?

There is your solution for a full scale, affordable, pizz/arco friendly EURB...

I'm thinking about treking up to TN is see what they are all about... with in the next month or so.

jai

12. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    All right, i'll take the plunge and look dumb--what's arco? :help:

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Arco = w/ a bow
    Pizz = sans bow.

It really isn't dumb to ask questions, it's dumb not to.

14. sweeeeeeeet. im really interested in getting an eub

15. Passinwind

i said pizzo*. not piezo.

*as in pizzicato

My bad, we're on the same page after all. That'll teach me to edit quotes; the shame, the shame... Shouldn't that be pizzi, or pizza, though? Make mine pepperoni, OK?

I'm picking up a BSX on Friday, and I didn't see a non-piezo pickup add on as a necessity. I already own two 34 inch scale fretlesses, so the Dean wouldn't make a lot of sense for me.

16. Passinwind

Yeah, I agree with you there. Even though I wouldn't buy a pizza-only EURB, I could see why others would.

I have to say those Rob Allen's get a cool upright-like tone, very accessible for those desiring a 34 inch scale non-arco. I heard the Zeta's (even the 'cross-over' model) can be played arco.

I've heard really varied reports on the Zetas. Both of my 34" fretlesses do fine for pseudo upright, but the 41 1/2" BSX is a whole different deal, regardless of bow-ability.

As for Jesse's basses (ergoinstruments.com), I think that DonZ has one of his uprights (appears in his avatar)... I really want to try out the 8-string (dual course) upright electric bass that Regi Wooten owns... That has got to be a fun instrument to record with.

I was minutes away from buying an Ergo, and I still want to try one. After seeing David Darling play solid body 8 string cello, I am definitely into the idea of a double coursed EURB. That'll have to wait a few years though, because I remember how tough arco playing was to learn back when I was wrestling with URB a zillion years ago. That's going to be a big enough time investment for a while right there with the BSX, I'm sure.