Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean EVO bass- Decent Surprise!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Mar 30, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I just picked up a Dean EVO XM bass. Short scale, Les Paul type body. I sold my SX short scale P bass because I was alittle under impressed by it. I decided to go check out the Dean to replace the SX.

I have to say I'm impressed by it. I figured I would have to gut the electronics and shield it like I did to the SX, but nope. The sucker is dead quiet, and the pots aren't cheap and scratchy. And the dual humbucker pickups are pretty decent. Nice full tone with a definate tonal differance when switching between the two. The neck is nice maple,rw fretbd, wide but thin and 1-5/8" at the nut. Fender type bridge ,with correct intonation. The action was alittle high, but the truss rod seemed right on. I was able to drop down the action without any fret buzz.

The only thing I really don't like is the body finish. The color looks cool, but the finish is that Fender "Highway One" type. You know, very thin and almost "filmlike".

Overall I would say I like this one better than the SX I had. It really doesn't need any mods except some flatwounds of course. I paid $169 new and I have to say it is a good bargain with a 5 yr warranty. :)

2. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i just saw one of these, looks interesting, how heavy is it?