1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean EVO bass- Decent Surprise!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, Mar 30, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I just picked up a Dean EVO XM bass. Short scale, Les Paul type body. I sold my SX short scale P bass because I was alittle under impressed by it. I decided to go check out the Dean to replace the SX.

I have to say I'm impressed by it. I figured I would have to gut the electronics and shield it like I did to the SX, but nope. The sucker is dead quiet, and the pots aren't cheap and scratchy. And the dual humbucker pickups are pretty decent. Nice full tone with a definate tonal differance when switching between the two. The neck is nice maple,rw fretbd, wide but thin and 1-5/8" at the nut. Fender type bridge ,with correct intonation. The action was alittle high, but the truss rod seemed right on. I was able to drop down the action without any fret buzz.

The only thing I really don't like is the body finish. The color looks cool, but the finish is that Fender "Highway One" type. You know, very thin and almost "filmlike".

Overall I would say I like this one better than the SX I had. It really doesn't need any mods except some flatwounds of course. I paid $169 new and I have to say it is a good bargain with a 5 yr warranty. :)

2. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    i just saw one of these, looks interesting, how heavy is it?