Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Fretless : Rhapsody/Edge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by floydbass, Mar 27, 2005.

1. What is the difference? I am looking into a fretless and ive heard alot of good about Dean. What is the big difference between The Rhapsody and The Edge? I play jazz and want to know which is better .

2. bump, anyone?

3. I haven't played the fretless versions, but the fretted Rhapsody and Edge bass feel very similar. The Rhapsody is a little nicer, but the difference is not huge. The only big difference is the body shape :) .

4. What is the FB wood on the edge? I know the rhapsody has Ebinol.

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It's Rosewood. I would personally go for the Edge only because it has 2 pickups and a standard bridge. I've played 2 and owned an older passive model, and for the money they're great if you're starting out on the fretless.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    These are completely different basses. Dean has a website where you can see them and compare for yourself.

The Edge is solid body, the Rhapsody is semi-hollow.
    Edge has two pickups Rhapsody has one.
    Rhapsody has a fixed acoustic style bridge, Edge has a fully adjustable conventional bridge.

I used to own an Edge fretless and I'd recommend that bass without any reservations. Terriffic bass. Like Tobias4 I'd buy the Edge because of the better bridge.

7. Is the fretless edge rosewood board as well? Ive heard rosewood dosent stand up well as a fretless.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes. It holds up fine.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Rosewood is actually very common as a fretless board. Almost as much as Ebony. Lakland uses them, Fender, Dean, Yamaha, Schecter..pretty much everyone offers a rosewood board as the first choice, unless you go really high end, then Ebony seems to be the norm. As long as you use flatwounds if you're going to play a rosewood board quite a bit, you'll be all set. Even on rosewood boards, it takes a lot of heavy playing with roundwounds for wear to get to the point where the board would have to be replaned.