dean fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patriotslayer, Feb 27, 2003.

1. i saw a dean rhapsody hpf fretless and i was wondering if anyone has played it.
    this would be my first fretless and dont know if it is good for starting out.
  2. I haven't tried a Rhapsody. The Dean basses I've tried in music stores (GC & Sam Ash) have not been good. I don't know if it's poor setup at the factory or what - poor sounding & terrible action.

In any case, you should check other instruments, in my opinion.

How much do you want to spend?

If you want to get one for under $500, I'd go for either an MTD Kingston (a lot of people have given this rave reviews), a Yamaha BB Series (nice but electronics are so-so) or a Cort Curbow (I have a fretless 5 and love it). The difference between these two is the MTD has fretlines and the Curbow doesn't (although I believe Greg can give you a custom lined fretboard if you contact him). I've had both types of fretboard and I prefer no lines (with side dots) because you have to listen rather than look at the bass and you get better a lot faster.

This topic has been kicked around a lot on here so you might want to try a "fretless" search.
  3. I really like potato salad......

Anyways, I haven't liked the necks on the Dean's I've played-just dont seem solid and stiff enough for some reason. Plus the string spacing is too thin. Usually.
  4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    can't speak for any model other than the czech-thru dean edge 4 improv and it's dynamite!:D
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I own this Dean Edge fretless that I bought Dec 31, 1999 at a local shop:

TB regulars have seen this bass many times before. This was and is my first fretless. It's so good I feel no desire to upgrade to anything save an acoustic, which would not be a replacement, but a new style. I have been nothing but satisfied with this bass. It plays great, sounds nice, and looks great to boot. A real keeper. I love the feel of the neck.

If you want to hear how it sounds, check out my brother Andrew Hamm's page on Check out the songs "Calling Me Back" and "Strange Education". Warning: My intonation may not have been the best when I recorded those songs.:oops:

I don't know about the Rhapsody but based on my experience (actual post-setup playing and ownership experience, including regular work in my church choir, and helping friends and family with recording projects) with my Made in Korea Dean I would recommend one.

I think the Rhapsody has a rosewood acoustic style bridge, doesn't it? I think I might avoid that model for that reason. Adjustable intonation is really important in a fretless, and getting it set up is critical.

Have you considered the Brice fretless basses that are sold by ? They are very tempting.