1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean Fretlesses, Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have played many Dean fretless basses over the years, and I have always though they were great bang for the buck. I recently saw a nice fretless five at a local GC that played very well, and sounded great. I could get it for $69 bucks with a trade-in of a bass that is of the same value.

Are there any issues with Deans that I need to know?

2. No, Dean usually makes pretty good basses. And if it played and sounded good, spring for it, man, before somebody else discovers it. :p

3. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I had a dean guitar for quite a while. It was a PRS copy, set neck, flame maple top - gorgeous. Dean makes some good stuff. Their really cheap stuff sometimes is a little lacking, though, and this sounds like it's in that range. However, if you like the tone and feel, go for it

4. I have an edge 6 that I defretted and the only "issue" I've encountered with mine is that the active pre-amp left allot to be desired. I've since upgraded to a EMG BQC control system and it made it a much more versatile bass, tone wise. the overall quality/craftsmanship seems to be good, although I've only had mine a couple months and haven't really put it through the gauntlet(only played it at about 5 gigs) or anything . . .yet:bassist:

one thing though is if your looking for a good deal on a dean, check out the guys I bought mine from. . .Music City Guitar Outlet they're the only "authorized" b-stock dealer for the dean factory. they're honest about the "blems" and you can save hundreds. I picked up my 6er for $350(lists for over $700) with free shipping that got to my door 3 days after I ordered it :D just a thought

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's not a super cheap Dean. It's a fretless Edge 5.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Edge looks like it would be great for modding. I think both Barts and EMGs should fit perfectly.:)

7. I'd also add that for that price with the trade, if you really like the bass and tone, and the trade is one that you haven't used for a while or care for, then GO for it!

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Here's a picture of the Dean Edge Fretless 5 I used to own:
    [​IMG]
    It's a great bass. Great tone, great feel. Nice construction, competent hardware. The only "trick" is that it's a 35" scale. You'll need strings to accomodate, and intonation may be an issue if you're used to 34.

I'd recommend this bass without reservation.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I may pick up that Dean today. I am just a little afraid because I only have two basses, and it would be my back up (actually not much of an issue because my church playing has been cut back sharply, and my band has been running into a terrible time scheduling practice times.) I have always loved fretless basses, but I simply need to make a commitment to putting in the time to get my intonation up to snuff.:bassist:

10. Can't speak for Barts but I know that EMG's will fit in without a fuss. I plan on shoving some dual coils in there in the not so distant future.:bassist: one thing about my edge 6 is the string spacing is a little tight for my tastes at about 16mm at the bridge but not a huge issue just takes a little getting used to. and I haven't touched a 5er so it might be different.

11. I had a fretless Edge 4 some years back, & I liked it so much that I can't help saying so every time I see a thread like this. :D
    I went through a few smoothies at the time; I was convinced I *needed* a low B, so I tried 5, 6 & eventually went to a 7 string(!)
    Well, the 7 was WAY too much(for me), & the 6 recently went in a fit of fundraising/downsizing. I always remember how nicely the Edge played though(even comparing favorably w/a Stambaugh & beating the pants off a Warwick), & quietly vow to have another one day. Again- this is strictly talking 4s; I'm not good w/35" scales &/or tight spacing, which all the 5/6-string Edges have, I believe.

12. Got a Dean edge 6 fretless 2 weeks ago. There was one note that didn't work due to a depression in the neck (it simply buzzed instead of ringing properly at that position on the neck.) Maybe I was simply unlucky.