Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DEAN GUITARS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by British Gas, Apr 29, 2003.

Have you heard of Dean basses?

Poll closed May 1, 2003.
  1. Yes, I've heard of Dean basses, they're good

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. Yes, I've heard of Dean basses, they're bad

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. I haven't heard of them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What's a bass?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I'm going to get a new bass in October and I was wondering why nobody has heard of Dean basses?
    I'm going to get one but I am having concern about weather or not they are bery good, or if they are just not known?
    Has anyone else heard of them?:bassist:

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've played a few deans and read some reviews, and all in all, I think they are a pretty good instrument for the price. Make sure you play it before you buy it though- Dean can be like Fender, as far as consistency. Most of them are pretty good, but there are some lemons out the with bad fret work, or something to that degree. Dean uses a similar set-up to Spector on some of the korean built basses as far as same electronics adn pickups set-up as well as string spacing and body woods, and unless I'm mistaken, they share a factory with Spector. I'd say jus tplay a few and if you like it, go for it.

3. I've never owned a Dean, but I am getting a Dean Acoustic Bass.

Several of my friends own Dean geetars and they seem quite content.

4. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i own a 4 string dean edge 4 improv; neck thru construction, czech made, emg p/u's, gold schaller tuners and bridge, 340r 35" scale, brass nut, single mother of pearl talon inlay. paid around $700 new w/ HSC about a year and a half ago. I love this bass--tone, playability (low action) and looks. I was looking at a fender stu hamm urge II at the time for $1200 and the Dean kicked ass, hands down. I know dean makes a variety of models, finishes, country of origin and components--i can't speak for any other model, but this one was a total steal as far as i'm concerned. I also have a '74 p bass (original owner) and 4 and 5 string Reverend Rumblefishes

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Here's my Dean 5 string fretless Edge from 1999. I love it. If you get a good Dean you will be very happy. Made in the Cort factory with lots of Mightymite parts.

[​IMG]

This post is in the wrong forum though - a moderator will probably move it to "BASSES" where it belongs.

The Czech made bass that watspan has is one of the best Dean bass models ever made. I'm not sure they still make it. It's made in the same factory as Czech Spectors using the same materials (woods, pickups, hardware, craftsmen).

6. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    from philbiker "The Czech made bass that watspan has is one of the best Dean bass models ever made. I'm not sure they still make it. It's made in the same factory as Czech Spectors using the same materials (woods, pickups, hardware, craftsmen)."

That's what i've always understood too, but pollybass insists that the Spector is a much better instrument--never played the spector myself, but i wonder if he is comparing the Spector w/ a different model than the Improv?

7. I've played a couple. They were alright. I liked 'em! I don't know if I'd ever buy one, but that's personal preference.

Why is this in "Bassists"?

8. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Beats me.

9. coop

coop

Jun 22, 2002
    Oklahoma
    I'm very happy with my Dean. I bought it about 2 months ago, and for the dollar spent the quality is excellent.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Has anyone played the Jeff Berlin Standard or Sig model? I'm curious as to how those sound/play.

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Polly is right- if your going Czech or Korean, the Spector is the better instrument and has an all around "classier" more prefected feel, and the price reflects it. You'll pay 20-30% more for a spector with similar features from teh same factory as a Dean. Still, deans are good for the price.

12. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I have the Fretted version of the Edge 5 that Philbiker has. It's a pretty good sounding bass, the action is great, but my big complaint is the string spacing, it is really too narrow for my tastes. The Deans don't seem to hold much resale value so If your going to buy a Dean I would go for a used one since you could probably sell it for close to what you paid for it. I was able to get mine for under $200 off Ebay

GS

13. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    For fingerstyle, they're fantastic basses but not so great for slapping. For that nasally solo bridge pickup tone, it's one of the best basses I've found.

14. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I have a Dean Edge 6 Q. Great bass for the money. Good punchy tone and easy to play. I like the Maple / Walnut neck, plays well. For a 6 string, the balance of this bass is perfect!

[​IMG]

15. I have the Korean Edge 4. It's quite nice for the money. Sounds, looks, and plays well. Like any new bass you need to redo the setup, but the factory setup on mine wasn't too far off.

My next bass will be a Dean Demonator.

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I have a Dean Performer A/E bass.. It's a nice acoustic. I string it with tape-wounds.

17. I personally had never heard of Dean until I moved to Florida. I bought a new Dean Edge Q4 (Trans Amber) about a 2 years ago and have gotten many compliments on its look and sound. That being said, I do agree that you have to try each one and get the one that's right for you. The one I bought felt, played and sounded great but other Q4's I played didn't have the same aspects. I even had my friends come to the music store with me to hear and play the bass to make sure it was a good deal. I'm a firm believer in the old saying "If it sounds to good to be true it probally is". Like anything else you buy you have to do your research...ie take that bass for a test drive. As far as the setup issue goes, mine was pretty close also. I just had it done recently by a pro and the feel and action is even better. As good as the sound and tone was, I felt that the EMG pickups were just a little harsh for my taste. So, I just had them replaced with an 18volt Bartolini electronics/preamp and 2 Bartolini Soap Bar pickups. My Q4 now sounds and plays like a $2000 bass. I'm so happy. With a little effort and money I went from having a good 2nd bass to a premier bass. Now, I'm not saying you have to do what I did. If you like the sound and feel of the Dean you buy then you got a deal. I give Dean a thumbs up. A good bass for the price. Take care and good luck.