Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dean jeff berlin sig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, May 15, 2003.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...

i got to check one of these out at the local mom and pops music shop...it had a zebrano top, mahogany body, maple neck, ebony board. this thing was either one of the most playable basses or either one of the best setup bass i've seen come off of a production line...and it's passive? you can't tell that it's passive in the upper register at all. you can tell when you start getting low on it, but man, it's really got a great tone. i think a lot of it has to do with the way the neck pickup is right on the neck. i played it through a hartke kickback 12 combo, and i got a really fat, warm, kind of compressed sound out of it. i didn't give it the slap test...i just couldn't get over the fingerstyle tone i was getting. the board is about as flat as a warwick and the strings were almost sitting on it...with no buzz. this is one of the most utilitarian basses i've seen; absolutley no frills, save the cool zebra top... :D this is a bass that would be great for a beginner and really last a long time. heck, jeff plays one and that guy kicks. if ever i decide to buy another 4 stringer, i would probably go with one of these...and only 700 bucks! it looks good, it's well made with good parts and it plays in tune all the way up the board.

2. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I did a search on the bass on Yahoo... really nice bass.

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I've got a Dean Jeff Berlin Standard. It's the same specs as the zebrano topped one, but it's alder with the tranparent red finish. I usually play fat-necked basses but the Dean JB is the ultimate for soloing and most jazz styles. If you like to solo, you MUST check out a Jeff Berlin. There's just something about the shape of that neck that invites lightning fast wanking-antics. I find it to be a little bit of a "one trick pony" soundwise, but it's a great sound. It's like that really "pro" studio kind of tone that most jazz guys seek, but it's like it's built in to the bass and can be dialed in on almost any rig. It definitely sounds like some kind of natural compression and has the smoothest and most even volume ouput from string to string. This "perceived compression" feature in the tone makes it also ideal for using with envelope filters/auto-wahs because it tends to trigger the envelope more evenly than most basses, no matter what notes or how you're playing. It really makes my Q-Tron come alive and has become my preferred bass for this purpose. I got mine for 400.oo with shipping included, in an un-oppened box. The set-up was horrible. It really looked like they just put it in the box and sealed it right after they made it and then it sat around for 2 years, which is most likely the reality of the situation. The GHS strings it came with also sucked really bad. I was gonna sell it after my first impression (i also don't like gold hardware, but I've learned to live with it) , but then I did a set-up and put some Ernie Balls on it and it was like a whole new bass. Mine looks exactly like the one pictured below, except I put a set of Fender Jazz knobs on it to downplay the gold hardware.
    [​IMG]

4. I owned a red standard model, and found it was very midrange-y, too midrange-y for slapping.

YMMV.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've only seen/heard one of them....at NAMM and it was being played by Jeff Berlin. Of course, it goes without saying that if Jeff had been playing an entry level Squier it would have sounded great.
    Anyway, the comment about it being midrangy is right on. That's not a good or bad thing...depends what you want.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have the original Jeff Berlin signature bass, look at my avatar. I'm sure the Dean is very similar. This bass sounds amazing for fingerstyle playing and tapping, but absolutely sucks for slapping IMO (though I've read others say it sounds good - my slapping technique is brutal).

Great bass. If you can find the original made in USA Palaedium it's probably equal or better than the Czech Dean.

7. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Thay're nearly identical except for the headstock and the Dean version has no neck-plate. Also, the Dean version is a 3-piece maple neck (which maybe makes it more stable?) and I think the Peavey is a one piece.

edit: I also forgot to add that I'm one of the ones who thinks this bass has a great slap-tone. You can't go crazy without a little too much buzz (plus that neck pick up is pretty close), but that "natural compression" I previously mentioned really does the trick and favoring the neck pick-up really helps matters. It's the only bass I've played that sounds right slapped without a compressor, you just have to scoop the mids on your amp or outboard EQ a little. Sure it's a little midrangy in general, but it's the perfect tasteful midrange for when you want that midrangy sound and it's also part of what makes it work so well with envelope filters. It just has the kind of sound that cuts through a mix without being at all over-bearing.

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Palaedium has a two piece maple neck with dual graphite reinforcements in the neck, and a thick 1/4" slab ebony fingerboard. Though it's pencil thin (too thin for my tastes actually) it's extremely stable.

9. Yeah, but how does it sound with a pick?

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Jeff Berlin with a pick...that would be as weird as seeing Paul McCartney without one!!!!

11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Actually the Palaedium sounds extremely good with a pick!