Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Jeff Berlin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Finally got a chance to check out one of the Jeff Berlin model Deans today. I played a butterscotch colored 4 with Bart soapbars and BadAss II bridge. Built in the Czech Republic IIRC.

I'm impressed. Extremely easy to play, pretty versatile, especially for a passive four. Very responsive to a light touch. Both pickups full on, tone full on had the kind of brightness you'd expect with an active bass. Very good slap sound in this setting as well as finger style.

Solo the bridge pickup and roll back the treble a tad and the growl was pretty amazing for something in this price range. Very articulate bass, never sounded harsh.

I played it through the smaller Aguilar amp with a 410 and 115 at low to medium volume. Either way it had just the right kind of grunt I like in a bass. Seemed like a very well put together axe.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have the Peavey Pallaedium that Jeff helped design, and it is the fastest playing neck I have ever played on a 4 string. I like the neck so much, that I'm going to have Curbow make me a 6 string version of it for my custom. And, soon after that, I'm going to refinish the Peavey body in Lake Placid Blue, and have Curbow replace the neck with a copy of it made of Rockwood.

I have only played one of the Dean basses, and the neck is a little bit thicker on the Dean than on the Peavey. It wasn't set up very well when I tried it out, but it was evident that it would be a killer if it was set up properly. I think it's great that beginners have so many great basses to choose from (Cort Curbows, Groove Tools, MTD Kingstons, Dean Jeff Berlin, Fender MIM, Yamaha).

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no doubt. i wish that these options were available when i was starting out.

4. I find that the front pick-up in Jeff's design is to close to the neck. I messes with my funky-ness.

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It's a shame that most of them want an Ibanez to wear down by their ankles...Hell, I don't understand the "big pants" phenomena, either....

I guess I'm getting old--and I'm not even 30!

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    unfortunately i do, only more out of necessity than style :eek: :D

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG]

The front pickup wasn't that close to the fretboard, didn't get in my way for slap at all. The neck was pretty slim.

The bass was ~$800 and I wouldn't consider that price to be in the beginner range;)...but I wholeheartedly agree that this is a great time to be in the market for nice inexpensive basses.

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

The one I tried was the Basic (under $500), so it just had a black finish, and not the fancy, schmancy top like that fine example you have right there. I don't think it had a BadAss II on it, either. Still played nicely, though.

And, I agree about the front pickup--not in my way at all. Of course, I'm one of those freaks who has the pickup cover on their Jazz, so I tend to find a way around things in the way... :)

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm waiting for the Ibanez "Fieldy Signature." :(

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

Oh, Rick. You are on fire. :) LMAO!

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    How ironic. ;)

brad cook

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    they will be releasing the Fieldy Sig model as soon as he learns to sign his name....

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    shows how up to date and young I am!! and also what a big fan of Ibanez basses!!:rolleyes:
    ok, ok !! stop throwing stuff!! it was a JOKE!
    ( and i still say someone held his hand..)

14. are there fretless and 5/6 string versions of the Jeff Berlin Dean?;)

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Whatever gets you thru the night, it's all right.:D:eek:

[​IMG]