Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley Artist Pickup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mje, Mar 21, 2003.

1. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Just bought a Dean Markely Artist pickup for $39 from Music123.com. I bought it to see how well it worked on bass, thinking if it didn't work out I could use in on banjo or perhaps guitar.

It's a wooden disk, about the size o a quarter but perhaps 5/8" thick. INside is a piezo element and a lead disk, which turns it into an accelerometer. It attaches with the usual putty you find with many contact pickups.

How did it work? Very well. I experimented with various positions on the table above and below the bridge, and found a spot a few inches above the bridge where I got an excellent tone- much better than my Fishman or the K&K I've also used.

I used it without a preamp, running direct into my AI amp which has a 10Megohm input impedance. I think I'm going to shorten the cable, making it just ling enough to run to the tailpiece where I'll mount a connector and optionally a preamp.

If you're looking for an inexpensive pickup... do check this one out. Dimarzio makes a very similar model that sells for about $10 more.

2. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    how about volume? I tried one of those before and I really liked the tone but I coudn't get enough volume out of it.

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    It does have a relatively low output compared to some pickups, but a preamp takes care of that. I had no problem with my 300 watt amp getting it loud enough ;-)

In a way I preferred the lower output to some pickups that overloaded the input of my Clarus and drove it into clipping too easily.