Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley Blue Steel Bass Strings!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by adamaarts, Jan 9, 2002.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i just got these babies for christmas two weeks ago, and i have to say, they kick ass. ive been buying $10 sets of rotosounds and d'addarios from my studio guy, but once i got these i was blown away. they have an awesome tone. good for rock and the occasional funk (i like to warm up with old red hot chili peppers) i heard they are expensive but i know whatever they are, they are definatly worth it!

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, I dig 'em too, Stinky. The nickels are good as well.

3. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I only use Blue steels. My guess is there might be some better strings but for bang for the buck I think I'll stay with the Blue Steels.

4. I use Blue Steels for my 5 string Fender MIA Jazz. I've tried a lot of other strings, but I always seem to come back to the Blue Steels. I'm thinking about trying out the Nickel Blue Steel Ones though next

5. It's funny to hear you guys have had great results with these strings. i tried them afew times, and they sounded great for the first day, and then jsut died right after i put my bass down. Maybe i got some bad sets. i bought them only from the same place. Well, what works, works, right?

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    On a good recommendation I tried these strings once and absolutely hated them! Just goes to show everyone likes something different! Good thing there is so much to choose from out there.

7. I have them on my Epi Jack Casady, and my $400.00 Yamaha 5 string. I settled on them after trying about 5 different brands. As far as I remember, I think they're about $25.00 a set, that's not bad.

Mike J.

8. I have to definatly agree, different things work for different people. I know my experience is exactly the opposite of Lowfrez's... I really don't like the sound of the Dean Markleys when I first put them on, but I really love them once they get broken in and older.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I'm just curious. does the "cryogenic treatment" really do ANYTHING? is it just some marketing gimmick or is there actually any positive results from freezing the strings. the marketing department says that it makes the molecules stabilize...but is that any real advantage?

Personally, I prefer DR;)

10. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I was at a transmission shop a few weeks ago (having my transmission rebuilt, unfortunately), and a guy came by that cryo-treats gears for racing transmissions. We talked for a while and he said he also does bass strings for individuals, mostly DB strings for orchestral players.

He talked about the molecular re-alignment that cryo-treatment accomplishes, and why it's important. I'm not a metallurgist, but what he said seemed to make sense. Also, if it didn't improve racing transmissions, I don't think these guys would keep paying the money to have it done.

This doesn't mean that Blue Steels are the best strings in the whole wide world, because there's a lot more to strings than heat treatment or cryo-treatment or whatever. I think they're great strings, although I'm not currently using them.

Just incidentally, Blue Steels aren't the only cryo-treated strings on the market. Adamas makes some cryo-treated nickel strings as well.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    thanks, flatwound.
    i'm still kinda skeptical towards cryo-treated strings. even though it must make a difference, it may not make a great bit of difference.

but hey, whatever floats your boat

12. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I've been using Blue Steels for about as long as I've been playing bass, and I really haven't found any other strings that I like. Very balanced response, long life, great tone (especially after being broken in for about two weeks.)

I prefer the stainless steels, but the local GC sells two pair of nickel sets as a packaged set for $30. The stainless steels go for $25 for a single set, so the nickels it is.

Budgets suck.

Oh, and lowfrez, you might be right... I've gotten a bad set or two, once in a great while I've had problems with the low E sounding about a year old while the rest are still relatively new. This only happened twice in about six years, so you might want to give them another try.

13. Yea, I know budgets suck... I haven't tried the Nickels but I'm thinking about it, becuase they are cheaper (I think over here, for 5 string sets... 2 Nickels are the same price as 1 set of regular steels).... which makes me wonder... Why is it that the Nickels are half the price? Is it that a nickel wrap is just that much cheaper to make?

14. These strings have a lovely low mid growl that really snarls...for about the first two days. I used these religiously because of their terrific tone but had to give up on them. They die almost instantly....I now use D'addario's because their tone will stays consistent. Too bad....

15. I love the Blue Steels. I bought them at the store one day because they were the only 5-string set they had, and now I love them. I have tried DR, Ernie Balls, D'Addarios, and I have to say the Blue Steel set rocks them all. I have had no problems with tone dying after a day or two though. Mine sound great after almost 2 months of being on the bass

16. Blue Steels sound allright, and their tone lasts a day or two longer than Fender or D'addarios. That does NOT make them worth twice as much... Personally I go for Rotosound or Fender strings. As long as they're fresh, Blue Steels are OK, but when they start loosing tone, they really suck. -To me, they tend to break easily as well...

17. Blue Steels are the ONLY strings that ever broke for me. I use to blame my techinque but after I switched (12 years ago...) I never again had this problem. So much of a strings life depends on body chemistry. My D'aadarios, while not the best i've heard, have pretty much the same sound a month after I slap 'em on, no way would my BS's last even that long. The DA's don't break on me either.

18. I just put Blue Steel nickels on my Yamaha 5 string. It still had the factory strings on it. The factory strings totally sucked, awful fretbuzz (even after factory setup, and then my own). The Blue Steels sound amazing in comparison. I had to give it another small tweak on the truss rod, though. I went from a 40 - 120 guage to 45-125, which made the fretbuzz even worse. But now after the setup, sounds awesome.