Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley Blue Steel Nickles - Nice!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassFiddle63, Mar 5, 2005.

1. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Dean Markley Blue Steel Nickle Plated Cryogenic Activated 45-100's.....

Got me a set of these and they feel and sound great (pretty low tension but not sloppy, perfect). Nice tone that's not real bright and harsh, but not muddy either, just right. They have medium Blue color silks on the tuner end. I have them on my Brubaker 4 and they do really good. I'm an old D'Adarrio Xl-170 Nickle fan but have been trying all different stings the last 4 or 5 yrs. So far I think these Dean Markley's and DR Sunbeams are my favorite roundwounds :)

2. Can you compare them to regular Blue Steels?

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I hated Blue Steels when they first came out. Then, a few years back, I bought a used bass with them on. That was my first Brubaker 5. They sound great on that bass, feel great and last (almost) forever.

4. Yeah, I started off hating them too, but hearing Josh Paul with Suicidal Tendencies (free your soul...), made me wanna try them again. I think they compliment my Stingray perfectly.

5. I love them.

I think they sound great on just about any bass.

Mike

6. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    No Sir I can't, because I don't recall ever trying those. I think the regular Blue Steels are stainless if I remember correctly. I would guess they are like most other stainless strings and are a bit brighter than the nickle plated and pure nickle strings.

I still need to put some more play time on these DM's Nickles to breakum' down a little more and see how they sound after several hours ... so far I'm really liking them though.

7. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I use blue steels on my guitars usually, I think I have some on my bass somewhere, eh, too rough to the touch for my taste, but they make noise when I pluck them, so I'm not too bent out of shape about it.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm a big Blue Steel fan myself. I almost always strung my bass(es) with them.

Great tone and they last quite a long time.

Comparing the two different sets is like compairing apples to oranges. The original's are stainless steel, and stainless steel has a much different tone than the nickel ones. The stainless are much brighter sounding, while the nickel's are warmer and a bit more well rounded in tone than the stainless.

9. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I just had my P-bass restrung with a set of Nickles and have been very pleased. I have been a Rotosound fan for a long time but these Markleys seem to soften my tone which I am likeing. Will see in a few months how they hold up....

10. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I am actually becoming very on the fence about my strings. I just recently restung my Ibanez Ergodyne 5 with Cirrus nickel strings. It was a 6 string package and I threw out the B string and put the high C on it. Sounds and feels great. I think the only instance I have liked nickel strings are on the lighter gauges. But I am also a big fan of Dean Markely Cryogenic Blue Steals. Too bad they don't sell em around me anymore. So I have been sticking with the Rotosound. Pretty comparable. But I would pick the Blue Steels any day.