Dean Markley Blue Steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BuffettBassMan, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Has anyone else had this happen with these strings?

I got in a jam just before a gig in an outdoor arena with about 5,000 people. I put these strings on my PJ bass...Someone had a new spare set and it was too far to walk to the bus since they made us park it 8 blocks from the stage.

My bass has NEVER sounded worse. I have to eq the high end out of the mix to get it even close?

Is it me or are these strings AWEFUL!
  2. Deep

May 8, 2002
    I've been using Blue Steels for years. I really like them. They sound great on all of my basses. When new they are very bright (the SS version) and grindy on some basses, you may have to cut some high end. But after a couple of shows they mellow out and then the real tone of the strings will shine through. That's when they maintain their sound and last a long time. Lately I've been using the Nickel Plated Blue Steels and am REALLY digging them. Warm, punchy and deep. This has been my experience with these strings. Everyone has different tastes. Some swear by them, some hate them.
  3. yeah, once they're broken in, its sonic ambrosia.
  4. Thanks! I'll play them out some more!
  5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I used em a few ties and found them to go dead quick. But that was a LONG time ago. They may be much better now.
  6. robareed

Feb 12, 2004
    I love the sound on the nickel plated nothing beats them but they do have unique sound to me. My one ibanez has them on it (med gauge) and has a ton of punch but my fender p has dr 2000 and sound great to. It depends on the sound you are looking for.

just my 2cents

7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I find that the blue steel die very quickly one gig and that’s it. If you like that sound you might as well use nickel strings to begin with.
  8. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    the blue steel are very dead sounding strings but the nickel steel are really great, and the blasters - wow !!! i was so amazed they sounded really great on my jazz bass !!!
    and they feel great also - check them out.
  9. I would recommend against using these if you're an aggressive player - I broke an entire set in 6 months, and it wasn't an especially active six months either. They sound good if you can keep them intact, though, nice and bright.
  10. If you dont mind my curiosity, what do you normally use? I am a DR HiBeam man myself, but recently tried some Blue Steels on my P bass and kinda like them. Not too crazy about them, they seemed very ... hard/stiff(?)... if that makes sense. Overall I would have to say they are pretty good, and yes I will go ahead and agree with the statement that they are better broken in-lost some of that stiffness after a week or two.

I probably wont be buying too many of them in the future but if I see some on sale one day.... ? :p
  11. They can be fairly bright at the beginning, but I find them to be great strings overal: a lot of attack and punch to them.