Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley Blue steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Turlu, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I have been playing Bass for more than 15 years now and have tried several brands of Bass strings so far, from D'Addario, Ernie Ball, Rotosound, you name them !!! But, I always come back to the Dean Markley Blue Steel - Stainless steel Bass strings. In my humble opinion, the Blue Steel offered excellent and constant quality with each set I have bought in the past.

Great punchy, very bright sound, excellent low end and last forever. If you like a bright bass string, this is the one for you !!! Also, the Dean Markley company manufacturer gives excellent customer service. I just experienced it and those guys were simply great !!!

Anyway, just to share that my thoughts were about Bass strings !!! This is my Brand of strings !!!

2. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Gotta agree with that one....I don't always put them on my bass, but they last long, sound good and I have never, ever, ever had one break.

Scott

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Add me to the list of happy users. I've stayed away from SS for many years, then I bought a used Brubaker 5 with some great sounding strings that last a ridiculously long time. I've been using the bass for around five months and the strings still sound very good. Found out here that they were the Blue Steels, just strung the bass up with a new set and they are definitely the string s for me.

4. Me too. I have a set on my Jack Casady since Christmas, and they still sound good. To me they're also very balanced in their feel and string to string response. I still haven't tried any of the Elixirs, but, I doubt if anything will surpass the Blues in tone and longevity.

5. Me too. I have a set on my Jack Casady since Christmas, and they still sound good. To me they're also very balanced in their feel and string to string response. I still haven't tried any of the Elixirs, but, I doubt if anything will surpass the Blues in tone and longevity.

Mike J.

6. How the blazes did I post twice?

Oh well.

Mike J. :confused:

7. You guys know what strings I'll be buying next!

Um, if you, uh, didn't figure out what strings I'm gonna buy next, it'll be the Dean Markley Blue Steel Stainless Steels.:rolleyes:

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have never tried the Blue Steels. I guess it is time to see what all of the fuss is about. My Zon needs some new strings.:)

9. i tried the blue steels back in 94' and i had the worst time with them.

I bought a set, strung 'em up played for about an hour, then picked up the bass the next day. strings sounded dead as a doornail, and few days later the E-string snapped, which to this day is the only bass string i've ever broken.

Then, tryed a second set, giving them the benefit of the doubt, smae thing they sounded dead after the first few hours.

maybe they've changed since then, but that's just my experience with them.

Gary

10. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Never tried them before, but next time I need strings I'll go buy a pack. It's always best to try out as many different strings as possible to see what you like.

11. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i use em on my stingray for rock.. the best way to describe the tone is like a new pair of ernie ball's but "growlier" and maybe a tad less "zingy".

The steels last a whole lot longer than the EB's too.. i'm beginning to think that the reason so many people endorse ernie ball is because they get enough free strings to replace them every other show.

12. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    theyre pretty cool strings, i have a set on my p bass. but my main bass uses DR.

13. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    and i have had a blue steel break :(

14. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Blue Steels are my strings! I love em. Great sound.
    I have broken a couple, but I think that is becauce we play in E, D, and C. I only have 1 bass at the moment, so all of that retuning really takes a toll on the strings.
    (Picking up a second bass in the next month. You what strings will be going on it.)

15. On Saturday I felt like checking out some guitars (not basses - forgive me:( ) so I went to my local Sam Ash. I won't get into guitar stories, but, I bought a set of these: http://www.deanmarkley.com/htmDocs/BassNickStPckg.html

The Dean Markley Blue Steel nickle plated ones. Man, as good as the regular Blues are, these are even smoother and a little more balanced. I figured nine months is long enough for the Blues on my Casady bass. The old ones still sounded good, I just wanted to try something new. If you liked the regular Blues I don't think you'll be disappointed with these. I went from the .100 lights to the .105 mediums. A little more tension, but, the sound is so creamy . One more reason to try Blues if you haven't yet. Just thought you'd all like to know. And I didn't waste bandwidth by starting a new thread; I actually used the search feature! Tomorrow, I'll try going to the supermarket by myself. :D

Get some.
    Mike J.

The link I posted is a little whacked out. You have to click on the strings icon yourself.

16. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Just tried them, but I prefer the EB feel & sound, I just noticed EB has stanless steel strings, is this new?
    That's one of the reasons why the Blue's last longer than the EB's. The regular slnikies are nickle.

17. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Just wondering anyone have any experiences with the EB stanless slinkies?

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Like 'em. If they made a 35" sixer set, I'd like 'em again! (Hey, maybe they do now, been a while since I checked)

19. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Did you buy the second set from the same place you bought the 1st set? Maybe they had a bad batch of strings? Who knows. But my experience with the Blue Steels were great. They are a relativly inexpensive string and are built to last.
    Like I said I have never had a problem with them...
    ...ever.

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wow, I just strung up a set of Blue Steels on my bass for the first time. Damn, that's THE tone I was looking for! I don't know why I was wasting my time with my Nickel XLs. They were good strings, but, geez, these Blue Steels sound and feel great! Now let's see how long they last with weekly gigging and practice...