Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dean markley blue steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by alex011085, Oct 16, 2002.

1. alex011085

alex011085

May 19, 2002
    I've had these for about two weeks now and are tearing my poor fingers apart and are startin to sound thin. The D and G sound good but the B is crap. Its giving me a strange overtone on my schecter elite 5. I personally don't like these strings, but i'm going to give them another 2 weeks and maybe they will settle in a little more. They are really bright and create a lot of string "talk". I think after I'm done with this set, which may be soon, i'm going to try some Ti power bass. They seem to be getting a good rep.

2. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I've used these strings for years and love them! Never had any of the problems you mention. Maybe your treble setting is a bit high, causing the string noise. As far as tearing your fingers up, I don't recall any strings doing that to me. Maybe you should try flatwounds...

3. i have tried these strings several times just due to their recommendation but i hate them. they sound exactly as you said and they seem to shred my fingers. i have not had any other issues with the other brands of strings i play and my fingers. i play for hours a day without any finger issues until i use those damn things.

4. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    Played them, never liked them, I prefer Ernie Ball's Hybrid Slinkies.

5. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't know about my other Basses. I have used them on my Yamaha RBX-260 and they sound great to me.

Oh yea, if they Tear up your Fingers, then ya an't working Hard enough.

6. Ken Smith Rock Masters (medium Lights)..............the best. I love them, try those out people.

-Insighted

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm a long time Nickel string user. My used Brubaker came with Blue Steels on it and I love them. The only issue I've had with them is trying to figure out why they sound so good for so long. No hand issues at all.

I have the action low on my bass and the strings are pretty effortless and even-playing. My B is excellent.

8. alex011085

alex011085

May 19, 2002
    I've been playing for about seven years and i have good callouses. I also play one to two hours a day. But i have never come accross strings like these that tear up my fingers so much. I don't think i'm going to buy SS again anytime soon. Maybe SS core with nickel winding, but not all SS

9. bassman4hire

bassman4hire

Jun 14, 2002
    canada
    i have played blue steels since I started and love the tone when they are new! But I must admit I have only tried D'Addario Xl to compare to .

10. When I used to use rounds, the only two strings I liked were Elixirs and Blue Steels.... I guess different people just like different things