Dean Markley Blue Steels...what can I expect?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Well, I *finally* took the plunge and bought the only common, commercially available string that I've never gotten before: Blue Steels.

As a longtime user of Tomastik Infeld (even on DB and guitar,) and a fan of D'addario EXLs, what can I expect from the Blue Steels? Long life? Superbright? Mellow? Are they gonna tear my hard earned upright calluses to shreds?
  2. You're going to get a very well-balanced sounding string!

I've used Blues for a few years, and on almost every bass I own at one time or another, and I just found them to be a string that I liked a lot.

They have very nice mids, and a nice full, but not boomy bottom, along with nice non-brash highs. I was very content with them, but about a year and a half ago I just wanted to explore the string world a little, and am glad I did.

I tried Labella flats, and liked them a lot, but after almost a year on my Stingray I wanted a change. Then, I tried DR Hi-Beams, and found them to be similar to Blue Steels, with the DRs feeling a little smoother, having more open highs, but not quite having the same midrange as the Blues. I consider both strings about equal in tone.

I tried Elixirs by default, as they came on an Ibanez fretless bass I bought, and like them a lot, but they're a darker, thumpier-sounding string than either the Blues or DRs.

In November I finally tried DR Lo-Riders, and I may have found my string soulmate! ;)

These strings have everything I like in a string:

1.) Stiffer feel - I view this as control. (quicker decay)
    2.) Focused lows and low-mids.
    3.) Less ringing in the highs.

I think you'll really like the Blues. ;)

I've never played the TIs or the D'Addario EXLs.

3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Coarse, dry strings that chew up your frets and fingers. If your switching from TI's and XL's your going to hate these. Trade them in they suck!
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I love them. They are a little rough at first, you need to break them in. Once you're past that, you get a very well-balanced tone. I tried all sorts of D'addarios and such, nothing came close to Blues. I tend to rot strings with my sweat, but Blues don't give in.
  5. I used to use Blue Steels exclusively, until a few sets I bought (in a row) crapped out on me damn quick. After that, I switched and never looked back.
  6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Their only good quality is that they look cool. :)
  7. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    They're bright as hell out of the package... i'm talking ZINGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Really clanky and metally, and dry and coarse, and not smooth... almost sticky feeling. Better once you break them in... but i almost hate them new.