Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dean markley blue steels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Oct 13, 2004.

1. does anyone know the scale of these?..or if theres a 36" scale set available?

2. help? anyone....i see they make .046 .063 .080 .102 sets.....i wanna try

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Lemme answer the question you haven't asked yet. :) I used Blue Steels on my Kubicki back in the early 90s when Dean Markley first started selling them.

They worked fine with one little caveat - a little part of the blue silk wrap on the E string always laid on the saddle bolt on the Kubicki bridge. Luckily, the section of the string with the wrap on that touched the bridge node was still a full width portion of the vibrating length of the string. The other three strings went on with no drama.

I used to gently scrape away that portion of the wrap with a razor blade or X-Acto knife and it was business as usual, no problems at all. If you plan to do the same, please be careful.

4. thats what happened with my rotosound swingbass long scales...i dont like em though....they die within a week

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Some of this stuff depends on individual body chemistry, but Blue Steels actually went dead faster for me than Rotos.

YMMV, but those Blue Steels do sound great for the short amount of time they stay bright.

6. I think they're pretty good after they've lost their initial zing. Nice warm, punchy sound with a bright edge.

(PS - the silk starts at the same point on all the strings. So if one string is long enough, the others are too)

7. thats not the case with me..i have a 36" scale E string while my G,D and A strings are 32" scale

8. Oh, I see. Didn't think of that :rolleyes:

9. I haven't played on them for years, so I can't really comment on their tone other than the fact that it was brighter than the Rotosounds and Ernie Balls I've had on my bass since. However, I can tell you that I broke the crap out of both sets that I used within 4 months each - every string's core snapped at the bridge. I'd be very careful of them if your playing style is aggressive, as mine used to be.