Dean Markley Blue Steels???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I've seen these before, but haven't tried them. How bright are they? Also what is the life of them?
    Another ? are the nicklesteels any better?
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    they're the first steel strings i've ever tried... i really like them. They're bright, deep, growly...

I put them on my stringray5, replacing almost new EB nickels, and they sound similiar, but with a little more meat.

I'm not sure how long you would say that they last.. i like the sound of new strings, i used to change the EB nickels about every month or so, i've had the steels on for 2 months and they're still going strong.
  3. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    yeah i like em. i used to use them on mine, but now i got DR Hi beams on em. Theyve lost their brightness sort of, and now have a mellow tone. I've had em for like 3 or 4 months.
  4. I have a set of Blue Steels on my Jack Casady, they're great strings. Someone here told that these are the strings that Jack Casady himself actually uses on his bass. They're very balanced and aren't overly bright like some other roundwounds. To me, Blue Steels and D'Addario slowounds are similar, the D'Addarios having a little more midrange umph to them. Blue Steels, put 'em on.

Mike J.
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I bought a two-pack of the nickel plated ones when I got my Jack Casady, based on Michael Jewels suggestion, (Thanks Michael!)... I use 'em on my MIA P also, and they sound great. I've had the same set on my Casady since November, and they've matured beautifully, to the point where this bass is sounding phenomonal! The P likes things a bit brighter, so I've put another set on it about a month ago...

The nickels start off not as bright as other strings, but they don't lose their 'newness' as quickly either. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd definitely recommend the Blue Steels... and hey, the price is definitely right!!

6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yer welcome. And yeah, I agree they're good strings for a Jackbass. The nickels sound good on a P bass, too.
  7. Aha! So it was you, Boogie! Well I thank you for the tip. And Robert, now you see where I got the low down from. Hey, what's this place for other than to pass on info to all our e-buddies! :D

That's why I like it here.

Mike J.