1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dean markley flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    just put on a set of 50-100s on my p-style washburn. while tuning up on the g-string, the o-ring in the tuning peg popped right off. :meh:

the d-string really stands out from the others. it sounds nearly as bright as a roundwound, imo, especially when playing with a pick. the e and the a sound "dull" in comparison. i wish there were more string-to-string consistency.

i probably will not buy another set of these strings.

2. TimWinter

TimWinter

Jan 17, 2008
    Saluda, NC
    It sucks when you can't get consistancy from a set of strings. I use TI flats and haven't gone to anything else. Yeh they are more expensive but you get what you pay for. They are rich and bright and VERY consistant. Oh and you won't have to change them for a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time.

3. I had bought a couple sets of dean markley flats in a couple different gauges last year and the heavier ones 50-105 had a fair degree of inconsistency between the low E and the other strings. The lighter sets however sounded and felt amazing, best flats IMO.

You know, I also had an inconcsistency issue w/ a set of Labella flats a while back too. I sent the defective E strings back and they sent me a new E along w/ an entire set of brand new Labella flats. I've heard Dean Markley's customer support can be a bit shady at times, but it might be worth it to get into contact w/ them about the issue. There may be a free set of strings in it for you!

4. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    This is pretty common with flats. I had a set of flats where the D was a lot brighter than the rest. I have a set of GHS Precision Flats on a P Bass right now, and the D and G are brighter than the E and A.

They almost certainly will settle down to match the other strings. The thing about flats is that you can easily have them on your bass for years. A couple weeks to break them in and you'll probably be pleased.

5. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    I have a set I'm putting onto a bass in the next day or two.

Hope they are consistent. I hate spending $30.00 to be disappointed.

6. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    Damn D-string snapped when I put a bend in it to go on the tuning peg. I barely got a wrap on there. I hope it stays in tune.

They sound nice though.

7. I had a set of those, the E broke when tuning up before jamming, so I had to use the top 3 as I had no extra sets. Very annoying. From my short experience, the tone was pretty good, but the tension is really high. Replaced them with dean markley blue steels. But I've been thinking about getting some TI flats since I hear they have low tension, and I want to try slapping flats.