Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley Flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hi guys. I've never played flats before and from my research here, the general response of Flats is that they are less zingy with alot of thump. Just the kind of sound I'm going for.

Secondly, my favourite local guitar store only has Dean Markley Flatwounds. I did a little search on them and found out that not much were said about them. Maybe I've missed some threads. Anyways, does anyone here knows a thing or two about them?

Thanks!

2. I've used them before. As far as flats go, they are pretty dark sounding with very little sustain compared to other flats. They are pretty good quality though. It just depends what kind of sound you want.

There are other brands of flats that are a little livelier than those - Thomastik-Infeld, Rotosound and even D'Addario are a good deal brighter.

If you want an especially dark sounding string with low sustain, I'd personally recommend the GHS Precision Flatwound. They are a very nice string. Otherwise, I like the D'Addario Chromes for an all around general purpose flat.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am yet to see someone rave about DM's flats. I haven;t tried them because i love my D'Addario Chromes so much. :D they ain't cheap, but are great strings. High Tension (great for the low B) and excellent thump and feel!

4. You should try to find some Fender 9050's. I put some on my Jazz and they get sweeter everyday. The brightness is fading and they just get more thump everytime I play em. I love em. And they can be had for about $20!

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Oh hey thanks alot guys. I don't if stating the pickup configuration of my bass and stating the tone I desire plus the kind of music I play will help determine what I should look at.

First off, I'm using a BB1000MA passive bass with a P/J configuration. I play all kinds of rock music ranging from alternative all the way to hard rock. Secondly, I've never tried flatwounds. I've only used roundwounds and I always find myself trying to dampen the brightness in my tone. I like very little to no brightness with alot of thump. I don't slap that much, I fingerstyle 90 percent of the time and only uses a pick when a song calls for the use of a pick.

I hope I've provided useful info so if you guys have a specific brand/model of flats that you guys think is best for the tone I'm after, let me know. Cheers.

6. Tbass66

Tbass66

Mar 15, 2002
    i have pyramid flats on my ric4003 and get a good thump and smooth sounding lows however they are expensive but last forever. for the money i would go with ghs or fender flats..they seem like a good choice for the money..you may also try matching the gauge to what you are using now..good luck:bassist:

7. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i play with Dean Marley medium guage flats. i hadnt played with flats before but the moment i played these i knew! id never go back to roundwound again....

these strings were exactly what i wanted in a string, with the bridge pickup, and some palm muting you can get a nice thumpy jazzy sound...

all around i just love em! ive played a few other sets of flatwounds now, and some are too bright or have too much sustain..

i like them, well worth paying more for these compared to a set of roundwounds

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I just put some Labella "Deep Talkin' Bass" flats on my Dean Edge Fretless and I love them! Check out my thread.:bassist:

9. The only Flats I have any real experience using are the Rotosound 77s. They're pretty bright for a flat string and I feel they give a reasonable upright-like tone with a fretless electric. The tension is pretty high (you can feel it when you touch them) but, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. I really should try a set of Fender 9050s and TI jazz flats to round out (no pun intended) my flatwound frame of reference. Flats on a fretted bass - I can take them or leave them. On a fretless I consider them mandatory.

Just my spin.

Mike