1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Markley Helix Stainless Steels

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tunaman, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Love these strings... they do a great job of taking out some of that muddy low end, adding a bit to the mids & treble. I had some Slinkies on my new Sterling 5HH & with the mahogany body, the low end was just a tad too big. The Dean Markleys really helped control that while not being a radical change in the other tonal areas.
    Not too rough on the fingers as all.

Really helped get some aggression on my Reflex HH5 too.

Give em a shot :cool:

2. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Gonna order a 2nd pair to go with my Jazz V standard. i need the exposed core as my .130 cobalt was hitting my saddle awkwardly. Review with that to come, excited to have these strings again, they didn't fit that great with my EBMMs but the body through will solve that

3. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm sure you've seen me spreading the love on these.

Exposed and tapered cores can be weird with some basses. Fortunately, I haven't had much trouble with that.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I had awesome luck with them in the past except my top load 34" scale fivers where the low B was a bit long. $20 for a five string set on Amazon right now. Couldn't pass it up

5. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I recently acquired a bass with DM Blue Steels and these strings have a deep end that I wouldn't have thought possible with around. I love the sound and it's putting my other string choices to shame. The only thing that bothers me is the rough texture and the string noise.
    Then I read this. I'm in.

bassliner50 and Tunaman like this.
  6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Yeah, I love the tone of steels to liven up my jazz. I can always roll the tone knob off but I can't add more with nickels. These aren't as rough as other steels from my memory. I'm excited to make the switch back. Good price too.

7. Yeah. Been using Markley Blue Steels on my P for decades. As pointed out previously, plenty deep lows, as well as mid and high frequencies. They last a long time. And yes the tone knob easily tames the highs and your left with a nice focused, punchy tone that can be sweet or have an edge if you push them. Plenty character and longevity. I am so used to the stainless steel texture, I don't even notice. I prefer mediums 50-105's. DM Set #2676.

8. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Blue Steels are alright but Helix are even better <3

9. How do the DM Helix compare to the Blue Steels in terms of 1.tone 2.tension 3.finger tip feel/comfort 4.longevity?

10. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Installed them on my jazz v. Much better fit, more sustain and clarity than the .130 b string that was touching the saddle spring. My new go to string on this bass. Slinkies for the bongo. Cobalts for the sterling, ghs precision flats for the lb100