Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley nickel steels or Ken Smith burners?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Angelo, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Has anyone tried either one of these?
    How are they?
    Floppy?Tight?
    Bright?Dull?
    Dead?Live wire?
    How bouts it?

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Markley nickels=warm and somewhat bright, nice feel

Smith burners=bright, less warm, somewhat rougher feel than Markley's

Different strings for different basses, I'd say. I'd use neither as an all-purpose string. I like the Markley nickels on a recent AmStnd P bass. I prefer Smith Tapercore ss on my Smith 6.

3. Hi:
    I've used Smith burners and slapmasters on my bass. I would call them bright w/ good bite. Excellent growl, and moderately warm sounding. Works well in a funk or slap situation, and burners work well for a nice rock tone.
    One my bass their tight, not floppy, and I haven't found a dead one yet. I would consider them an all-pupose string as well.
    I cant' comment on the Markeys
    frank

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The thread's more than three years old, I know...But I can contribute my experience of having used the Dean Markley Bass Blasters, light gauge (.040-.060-.080-.100). They come two sets per pack at about $20 through JustStrings.com. Such a deal...

Though I haven't tried the Smith strings yet (but intend to), I second the comments from BoogieBass about the Markley nickels. In fact, at this price I wasn't quite so surprised that they sound good as I was because they last a decent amount of time. All around, a pretty well-balanced, relatively long-lasting, warm & resonant string - that comes out to only about $10 per set! The other Markley nickels are a little more expensive, but no more than market rate for quality nickels.

I think you couldn't go wrong with either the Markleys or the Smiths...

MM

5. jow83

jow83

Jun 3, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    DM's soudn great in my opinion - and seem to be incredibly easy to play (maybe its just me). However I seem to break these strings much more frequently then any other brand... has anyone else had this problem?

6. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    never broke a dean markley string, they lasted long and sounded great on my jazz bass.
    the blasters are a good deal - no doubt, but i love the Rotosound Roto bass in that price range better.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Whoa! It's been a long time since I took a look at Rotosounds. Reckon I'll have to check these out...

MM

8. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    yea man, try them out...they cost 14-15$ for a set (talking about the ROTO BASS set)...you can read about them in the strings review on Bassplayer magazine.