Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley Nickel Steels vs D'addario XLs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Angelo, May 9, 2002.

1. Angelo

Angelo

Jan 12, 2002
    Can anyone tell me the differences between these two strings.
    They seem like they would be alot alike but i haven't heard alot about the Markleys.
    I ask this because i'm a long time D'addario user and am thinking about trying the Markleys.I use 40-95 gauge if that matters.

2. Phantomime

Phantomime

May 9, 2002
    The Only Thing I Can Offer You Is That I Have Used Blue Steele's Exclusively For Years, I Have Tried Others In Between, But Still Revert To Dean Markley. These In Particular Have An Amazingly Long Life, And Keep Incredible Tone In The Face Of Incredible Abuse. I Can Let Go Without Even Wiping The Crud Off Them For Weeks, And They Still Sound Bright.Hope It Helps!

3. Naturally strings are like everthing else, we all have our opinions and you should just try a set and see what you think. For me, I dont like Dean's very much. They are extremely rough on my fingers when they are brand new. Once broken in, they are nice for awhile, but I havent found them to be very lasting.

I'm not a huge fan of D'addarios either, although they are quite affordable. I do use them on my 4 string some, but on the 5 String lately I've been using Ken Smiths, no permanent opinion yet. I like Thomastik Infelds, and they are worth my money, when I have any ;)

Greg

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I like both, the Markley's are a bit brighter; the feel is pretty similar on both strings. I like nickels on P basses and some high end instruments (Roscoe 7 and Modulus Q6) with Bartolinis as they are warmer and I don't need (or want) the "ping" of SS on some of my basses.

I've found the XL's seem to last a little longer. And of course, the Markley's have that blue silk which you may or may not like depending on the instrument. Purely cosmetic, of course.