Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley Precision Wound Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 59jazz, Jan 28, 2005.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Anyone tried the DM Flats? What's your take on these?

Thanks, Steve

2. I'm not sure if the ones i have are the Persision Flats, but about a year ago i bought a set of Dean Markley Flats. I've had them for a year and i really like them. they go on and off of a bunch of my basses and right now they are on my P-Bass, and i really like them. But this is the only set i've ever owned or played so i don't have much to compare them too. Hope this helps at least a little.

Kyle

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I believe that the DM flats are the origin of the term "Dead Markleys". They are very dark and thuddy. Not exactly my cup of tea, but, as always YMMV. I think that Robert Mercurio of Galactic uses and endorses them.

4. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Same thing here .... I tried a set and they are dark, muddy, thumpy, and basically dead sounding. Took them off 2 minutes after I put them on :eyebrow:

On the other hand .... I love Thomastik-Infeld Flats and D'Addario "Chromes" :bassist:

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Thanks for your input guys! I temporarily swayed by the DM ad (hype) I saw in the mag. A fellow pitter and a TB'r sent me audio clips of the TI JF-345's.............so that's where i'm headin'.

H2

6. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Good choice and Good Luck.