Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley SR2000

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rsautrey, Jul 15, 2001.

1. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    FYI anyone who uses SR2000 4 string med light gauge, marsmusic.com has these on sale for $11.98 a set. I bought the last of the "Will Lee" sets so all that's left is med. light.

2. I've been using these strings for the past 2 and a half years or so and I've always liked them. Some people don't like taper wound strings, but I never had a problem with them. I have them on my Peavey Cirrus 6 string now, but I've also used the 4 and 5 string sets and I was really happy. John Turner also uses these strings on his basses too so he might be able to shed some light on the subject. They've also been brought up before in past posts so you might want to do a search on them and you should come up with a few threads.

By the way, comparing that price to what I paid for mine, that's a smokin' deal. I paid at least double at the music store I go to.

3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I put the SR2000 recently on one of my bass and, like any other Dean Markley strings, they are great. I do slap on this Bass and the strings respond really well with a nice bottom end sound.

They are my #1 strings for this bass. The tapers do make a difference on the sustain (my humble opinion....).

4. are they bright?
    How good do they sound (as you guys call them) "Dead"?
    Do they still cut through?

5. My favorite strings of all time were called Superwounds made by RotoSound. RotoSound quit making them, but they still hold the patent (which means nobody else can make them either). Dean Markley SR2000s aren't exactly like those old RotoSounds, but they're are so close it isn't funny. For my bass, the SR2000s are nearly the absolute perfect string.

6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Mudbass, Rotosound didn't quit making those strings, they just changed the name. Rotosound RS99 Piano String Design is what they are now called. The only gauge they make is .045-.105 but older sets are still available through some online stores. As you know these strings are Exposed Core vs. Taperwound.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Are they bright, he asks?:D

They are one of the brightest strings that I have ever played.

As a guy who loves brightness, these strings are the best I have ever played.

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    which of them are tapered? all of them? or just the E? or is it the E and the A?

9. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hey Lo-End,

All of the strings are tapered except the G string (4 strings bass).

I just came back from a trip and I found the E string(with SR2000) on my Bass was dead as you would not believe. All the other strings were OK except the E string which is totally dead!!!

I know I played a gig just before leaving for my trip and did not touch the Bass for a week but this is just surprising to me.

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Hmm I went to Guitar Center today to pick up some SR2000s but they didnt have them so I got Elixir Nano Webs instead. I would be playing my bass with them right now, but I have to rewire my whole control cavity now. The good news is I just bought some Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter Pounder for P Bass pups and they look great on my bass! I cant wait to hear them :D

I spent:

51.60 on the pups (I had a 40% coupon from a zillion years ago that never expires ;) )

39.99 on the elixirs

I also just got a really cool Blink-182 poster with Mark Hoppus jumping up in the air holding the infamous "pink bass" that says BLINK-182: TAKE OFF YOUR PANTS AND JACKET TOUR 2001. I wish I could see it, but tonight I wont be sleeping in my room... ;)

ok that is my news I have no idea why I am putting all this stuff in here but whatever. in the strings forum its all one topic, really. :D

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA

hmm... maybe it all worked out for the best after all then? I ended up getting Elixir strings and they never go dead...