Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley SR2000

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ThumpNPluck, Nov 5, 2000.

1. ThumpNPluck

ThumpNPluck

Jun 22, 2000
    New York City
    Anyone out there have any experience with Dean Markley SR2000s that you could share? What gauges do you like in this string? Thanks.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I like the "Will Lee" guage of SR2000s ... extra heavy. They are a big sounding string, with a lot of "piano-like" top end. Very "agressive" sounding. They have good pitch and last a very long time ... but they also have a rough finish and a very raw sound. not for everyone. These are the only strings I've ever broken ( be careful if you play with a pick ).

3. ThumpNPluck

ThumpNPluck

Jun 22, 2000
    New York City
    Many thanks! Your detailed response was very helpful.

4. My experience with the SR 2000 strings is that they've been the longest lasting string I've ever used. I use the Medium-Light gauge and although they're pretty bright when you put them on, they lose a little brilliance, as all strings do, after a few hours, but then they keep that tone and new brightness for a loooong time. I didn't like the taper-wound B though as it didn't transfer enough sound through the bridge and it sounded a little transparent, but my 5 string is also a 34" scale so it doesn't really do a B-string much justice. On the other hand the other 4 strings sounded clean and tight all the time though and I'd highly recommend giving them a try.

5. reedith, "my bass is 34" and does'nt do the B string justice". This statement is not correct, in my opinion. I have owned three 35" basses, and none of them had a B as good as a Stingray (34), a Pedulla (34) or even a Fernandes Gravity (34)! My current bass, a custom (by me) built six, has a 34" scale, and the B is awesome, I'll put it up against anything! I think there are more important factors in bass design than scale length, personally.

6. Hey Marty, I agree that it's not just scale length that determines a better sounding B string, but a whole design of basses, Dingwall and other basses using a fanned fret system, are saying quite the opposite. Oh the other hand though, I've heard great sounding B strings from a 34" and 35" scale. Although, in my opinion, a Dingwall bass, with a B string length of 37" has a much tighter sound than a 34" scale, but that's also a given because of the physics behind the system. It all depends on what kind of sound you want from a B string, your amplification, body design, woods... the list goes on as you know. Back to the original post though, in my experience, for some reason, the taperwound B string in the SR2000 package never seemed as good as a non-taperwound B, but then again, I've only tried these strings on just one 5-string bass so I don't think my experience is adequate enough.

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    a rigid, well designed neck is going to go further towards a good low B than just scale length. my conklin 7 strings are all 34" scale instruments, and i have some of them tuned with a low F#, below low B. sounds excellent. my 8 string fretless is 35" scale length, also goes down to low F#, and also sounds great.

the simple physics of the situation is that a string of the same gauge tuned to the same note will be under greater tension on a longer scale-length instrument than it will on a shorter scale one, which will of course affect the tone as well as the playability.

oh, and to answer the poster's question, i've been using sr2000's on my conklins for years now - i like a custom gauge - i like a heavier low B than the will lee set (.135") and lighter A, D, and G (.078", .055", and .035"). as has been said before, they last a good long time and have a great tone, as well as a great tonal range.

Dean Markley also makes a .150" that i use on the low F#, which is another reason for playing their strings. all in all, great strings, and a great company - great customer service (i get my strings direct in bulk, and they are good guys to deal with.)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am of the belief that the quality of construction and neck stiffness matter more than scale length.

I play a 34" scale Pedulla Rapture 5 string, the only 35" scale B's that sound better to my ears are the Modulus Quantum and the Lakland 55-94, both considerably more expensive than my Pedulla, 1 with graphite reinforced neck, the other with a full graphite neck. They are stiffer. It's that simple.

I have played about a dozen different 35" scale wood necked basses, and none of them sound better than the B on the Rapture.

9. I was intrigued by your experience with the B on the SR2000 set, so I've put some on my 34" six string. They are awesome! AND the B is tight, punchy and focussed. An E note played on the 5th fret of the B string is only marginally different from the open E string. I'm totally impressed. If I may make an observation, and this is just my opinion, nothing personal, I once had a Soundgear 885 and I could'nt get any B to sound good on it. I sold it on after 2 weeks of frustration. I think the neck on those basses is too narrow and flimsy to get a tight B. Just my opinion.