1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean Markley strange gauges ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NJXT, Feb 22, 2001.

1. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    What do you guys & gals think of the Dean Markley's SR 2000 strings (roundwound, tapercore, stainless) ?
    I was interested in trying a light set for my 5.
    They have a different gauge than the "standards" in other brands : .044 .060 .078 .098 .125
    Why is that ?
    Any other thoughts ?

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Up !
    ... sorry ...
    So, nobody knows 'em ?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've used sr2000's exclusively for around 4 years now, but i get mine direct from dean markley with custom gauges.

i love em. they intonate excellently, great tone and sustain, and they last a good long time.

4. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Thank you Mister Turner.
    I ended up trying a set of light SR2000 for my 5 string, because I was intrigued by the strange gauges. I had my bass setted up too because I was moving from medium to light.
    And frankly I like those Dean Markely's !
    Great tone, smooth under the finger.

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    SR2000's are some of my favorite strings, but they're a bit too bright and zingy to use on my StingRay-not enough bottom. The only problem I've had with them is that the winding on the D string by the bridge was loose right out of the package and unraveled over time. This happened to about 3 or 4 sets I got from the same store. Maybe it was an isolated problem, but watch out...

6. spoolie

spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    Winston,

Call or email Dean Markley, they'll send you either a new string or a whole set. They did this for me when I had a string break while installing.