Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Markley strange gauges ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NJXT, Feb 22, 2001.

1. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    What do you guys & gals think of the Dean Markley's SR 2000 strings (roundwound, tapercore, stainless) ?
    I was interested in trying a light set for my 5.
    They have a different gauge than the "standards" in other brands : .044 .060 .078 .098 .125
    Why is that ?
    Any other thoughts ?

2. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Up !
    ... sorry ...
    So, nobody knows 'em ?

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've used sr2000's exclusively for around 4 years now, but i get mine direct from dean markley with custom gauges.

i love em. they intonate excellently, great tone and sustain, and they last a good long time.

4. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Thank you Mister Turner.
    I ended up trying a set of light SR2000 for my 5 string, because I was intrigued by the strange gauges. I had my bass setted up too because I was moving from medium to light.
    And frankly I like those Dean Markely's !
    Great tone, smooth under the finger.

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    SR2000's are some of my favorite strings, but they're a bit too bright and zingy to use on my StingRay-not enough bottom. The only problem I've had with them is that the winding on the D string by the bridge was loose right out of the package and unraveled over time. This happened to about 3 or 4 sets I got from the same store. Maybe it was an isolated problem, but watch out...

6. spoolie

spoolie

Nov 30, 2000
    Winston,

Call or email Dean Markley, they'll send you either a new string or a whole set. They did this for me when I had a string break while installing.