1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Markley - USA?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wild4oldcars, Jul 12, 2014.

1. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    So, I know Dean Markley has a factory in the states, and has been a USA manufacturer for years. However, I recently received a shipment of Helix strings straight from the factory, and they were packed with some foreign Asian newspaper. I immediately called my guy at DM customer service (super responsive to dead strings/sets, love them a ton), and he assured me that they were a USA company, and he had no idea how the paper would even get to the factory. He told me he'd bring it up with the VP of Manufacturing, and I'm eager to hear what he says about it.

Thoughts or similar experiences?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It was inside the factory sealed string packaging? Weird.

Dean Markely is in California, but the strings are wound in Michigan. Where did yours come from?

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    No, no, the box was packaged with asian newspaper where, say, the bubble wrap would go.

4. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

there are newspapers for asian readers chinese and vietnamese etc for sale on newsstands right here in san francisco.. All asian script.
    there are spanish language newspapers on the counter in my neighborhood liquor store, and the proprietor is muslim, and he has newspapers in his native language..............so what's the mystery?

5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    And I believe michigan, though I am not 100% sure, as recycle day was thursday and the box was left.

6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    What are they doing cushioning my strings during delivery?

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Asian person who works in shipping buys a newspaper, reads it, recycles it by using it for shipping material.

bass nitro likes this.
  8. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Well they changed all their packaging, too. Got me scared.

I did directly compare their guitar NS strings and didn't notice a difference.

Not to be too silly, but which newspaper, specifically, or which country?

9. /\/\3phist0

wow the narrow mindedness of america... Are you insinuating that you bought it from Dean Markley factory Direct???? did you buy the strings from Amazon? Ebay?
    it was packing material... I have opened walls in old buildings and found newspapers from the 40's printed in German-- i wonder if it was built by Nazi's :woot::smug::roflmao::thumbsup::laugh:

Buy them from Bassstringsonline.com Based right here in Sunny L.A.

10. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    This makes alot of sense...

Especially since there are ads for places in Illinois...

11. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I use BSO all the time. I was having a replacement dead E shipped by my guy at DM. So i didn't buy it from them direct, but I requested replacement through the company, not through jason.

12. /\/\3phist0

AHH (and was trying to be a little cranky/humorous) with my earlier post... although my grandad did kinda freak out when we found that german newspaper in the wall of a Victorian home behind the lath and plaster --- Ach! the builders could have been german spies ...
    me : at 15 years old -- uhm Grandpa? wasn't this house built in 1918?
    Him Yes! it was-- so there might be something important on this newspaper--- didnt you take german in school?
    Me: yes.
    Him so what's it say?
    Me: it's ads for apartments
    Him: In berlin i suppose?
    Me: nope-- portland Oregon! lolololololololololol

13. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Don't pretend these aren't valid concerns.

DM just changed a lot of things about their strings. It is common sense to watch out whether they made changes you don't like such as moving manufacturing to some place you don't want.

14. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    From what I heard, American Winding (the plant in Vicksburg, MI that makes DM) has been closed for a while, so I don't think they're made in MI anymore (but would be glad to be proven wrong on this).

15. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Oh wow. That would be interesting to know for sure. Why don't you swing by there and check it out? :)

Looks like it's true though:
    http://www.citysearch.com/profile/5398046/vicksburg_mi/american_winding_co_.html

So, Dean Markley owned American Windings and of course that's where their strings were made. I wonder who makes their strings now?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  16. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Thanks for the link.

So they went D'Addario, too?

17. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    As far as I know, they didn't do THAT. Last I knew, they were sold recently and the new President is making a push to re establish themselves.

18. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Dean Markley has made a ton of changes over the last couple of years. Moved their string production to Michigan. Changing their packaging. Removed a lot of sets from their line up too.

19. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    What ever they did, they did great! I already love the SR2000, but I've been using the new Helix SS for a couple of weeks now and I love them even more!

20. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    If they moved to Michigan, would that imply GHS is now making Dean Markley strings?