dean pacebass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassksun, Nov 5, 2005.

1. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    I tried this puppy out today...

I've never been fond of Deans but this sounded pretty good, very warm. Kinda like a BIG fretless J. It comes in at $600.00 US I'm thinking...again

Anyone ever try it?
  2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    It's a fretless electric bass with a stick up its bum.

I mean, I tried one at a guitar show and thought it was right nice so I bought one. I could never get it to sound like I thought it should, and I tried all manner of strings and whatnot.

The spacing was a little odd for me, but then I'm not really a fretless player (master of understatement, perhaps).

YMMV, etc.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, it's pretty good and great value for the money. But you're not going to get a sound like you would from an NS electric upright bass.
  4. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV

Thanks for the input. A REAL BIG stick is up it's bum. ;)

Thanks too. Good to hear that it's a good value for the money.

No way is that thing gonna sound like an NS.
    $600 vs. $2965 for a cr4t and codabow :rollno:

I can't afford the interest payments on the daydream of a NS.

The thing just felt comfy to me. I'm gonna go back next week to see if it is love or just lust.

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'd love to have a NS
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My local store here has one (Pace) that I have tried briefly, I thought it was pretty cool. I don't know that I would use it enough to justify buying one, so I think my venture into the fretless world would be better off with a Brice fretless 6 string bass for about half the price.
  7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I like an electric upright to look like a sleeker version of an acoustic upright, rather than a two-by-four.
  8. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Nice sound, but it's like playing a 4x4" beam.....too flat for me
  9. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Yeah, I can see that.

I've just about removed myself from the fretted world. My SX J 5 may be all that I need. I haven't played an upright in 30 years and I'm surprised how this 2x4 felt. A little like riding a bike for me in terms of technique and physical position. I kinda like that. I like the versatility of electric. I like the boominess of the bigger longer strings. I like the fact that this thing is FNKY lookin. I don't know if there is anything else out there that fits my budget. Anyone?

10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A guy on my floor has one, I do most of my practicing on that than a real doghouse. It comes pretty close.

However, the Pace bass is a 35" scale I believe, fretless bass without a body, and sounds almost nothing like an upright, and true upright technique is difficult to use on a Pace. I'd almost rather put it sideways on a strap.
  11. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Ouch! My left shoulder. :)
  12. bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    She: What did the bassists on your board say?
    He: They said good value for the money. But it's not the sheeznit.
    She: Do you respect their opinions? You oughtta; you spend enough time there.
    He: Absolutely! As much as Jeff (my bass teacher). And more than your Yoga teacher.
    She: Lemme see the good one.
    He: Shows her picture of NS.
    She: Ooooh that's pretty!
    He: $3000.00 worth of pretty.
    She: So? Your birthday is in May right?
    He: I love your Yoga teacher.

End of discussion. Trophy Wives rule :D
  13. Go to the Upright forums and see what they have to say over there. I would say the consensus over there is that they're good only for firewood.