Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Performer 4 user/owners? Step in....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BWB, Mar 10, 2003.

1. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Been thinking of buying one of these - anyone have any commentary that has owned (or does own) one of them? There is no Dean dealer in my town, but I have played their electrics and the price vs.
    what you get seems good - I figure for $339 it
    ought to sound reasonably good and play well.
    Anyone? I have no choice but to order it over
    the 'net, the nearest Dean dealer is 150 miles
    away :(

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    For what it's worth I'm extremely happy with my three year old Dean Edge 5 fretless. It's a wonderful bass that makes me smile every time I strap it on. Dean makes a nice product in general.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have a Dean Performer Plus ABG. All in all it is a well made bass, which is quite a lot of fun to play.
    I bought it basically to use as my "travel bass"; being able to play/write/practice in hotel rooms on tour without the hassle of plugging in....to use for writing at home when sudden inspiration arises, and just for sheer poratbility.

It does not have any kind of huge acoustic volume. The Performer Plus has a scaled down body
    which is smaller than some dreadnaught size acoustic guitars. But, this makes it quite comfy and easy to play. It also has a 32" scale (I think this is standard on all Dean ABGs). Again, this adds to the comfort and easy playability. It also helps empahsize the 2nd harmonic, aiding it in it's masquerade as the fundamental (a common anomally with unamped ABGs).

The overall work (fit and finish) is good. Nice abalone inlays and rosette. Satin finish and nice spruce top.

Plugged in I had some problems. I found the Shadow P7 pickup and preamp to be inferior. My main solo performance basses are a Godin fretted A4 four string and fretless Godin A5 five string (with high C), both equipped with L.R. Baggs Ribbon Transducers, which sound incredible...and so much better than the Shadow system on the Dean. Even tho I bought this to be my "beater", I am pretty picky about the sound. I replaced the Shadow with a Fishman Matrix system, and that improved things quite a bit. I have since replaced the Fishman with a Highlander piezo system and it sounds great (in fact, I have done shows with this bass...if the Godin's didn't sound just so damn fine it would find it's place it my regular setup.

Strung with Thomastik-Infeld Acoustic Bass strings, this bass really sings. I have found other strings to be a bit clacky and brittle on this bass. But the TIs have a rich resonance and sweet singing tone.

Overall, the Dean Performer series (the regular Performer boasts a larger body, like a standard ABG, but a lower grade Shadow pickup), is quite a bargain. NIce basses for the money, but to make it a viable instrument some upgrades are required in the electronics.

Max