Dean Performer Plus4 Acoustic Bass - anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BWB, Oct 3, 2002.

1. BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Anyone here own or played one of these? Been
    eyeballing it as a possible request for Christmas but Dean has no local dealer here. Any commentary?
    Any comment on Dean in general (other than
    they're good general purpose low end basses)?
  2. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I found an incerdibly fretless 4 Dean Performer that I really really liked.

But they sold it, and I havent found the same tone since.

The nice thing about the Dean acoustics is they tend to have a fuller tone. so enjoy :)
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    During the two years I was shopping for an ABG, I found several Deans I liked a lot - but never when I had the bucks! But there were a few dogs, too. Overall, I think the Deans are one of the better inexpensive ABGs out there.

Their ABGs are typical for an inexpensive bass - there's a lot of individual variation between examples. I'd try really hard to play before you buy!
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got the 5's a pretty good acoustic!
    Nice thick, growly tone.
    I never end up using it much though. Too many electrics to choose from...
    Anybody want it?
    I'll make ya a deal, I'm in a selling frenzy lately.
  5. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have one. I like it very much. I use it as my "travel bass"; to play and write on in hotel rooms and such when touring.
    It is 32" scale, altho I find that a plus not a detrement. It makes for a very comfy and easy playing bass, which sounds fantastic with TI Acousticore strings!
    It also has a small body (smaller than a dreadnaught gtr), so unamped it has very little real volume. NO it will not keep up with even the quietest gtr player.
    I found the Shadow pu and preamp simply unsatifactory and replaced both with a Highlander system. Now it sounds great...altho I rarely plug it in. For gigs I stick to my Godins.
    But I have written many a tune on the Dean. It is so easy to travel with I take it everywhere (the beach, camping etc.).