Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Q 5 string, good bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chi42069, May 30, 2003.

1. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    I saw a good deal on a Dean Quilted 5 string for $299. Does anyone on here have a Dean 5 stringer? are the B strings nice and tight? This would be my first bass and it seems like a good deal.

peace

chi

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a Dean Edge 5 fretless. No "Q" so it's not nearly as pretty as the one you're looking at. I bought it new Dec 31, 1999 for a little over $400 at a local dealer. I've been nothing but happy with it, it's become my most played main bass despite there being much more expensive stuff in my arsenal.

Here's a picture of mine:

[​IMG]

Click here to hear how it sounds on a rock and roll song with me playing it.

I can not say enough postitive things about this bass, I really love it. I would say for that price if you can get a quilt-top version jump on it fast. The B string on mine sings. It's 35" scale so be careful about strings that are long enough. I've used Fender "Super Bass" and Labella flats on it and both sound great and are even across all strings. The original strings were fine, too.

Made in Korea by Cort.

3. chi42069

chi42069 Guest

Apr 23, 2000
    kentucky
    Kool, sounds good. I saw that deal in the musicians friend website. Under scratch and dent specials. $299. I'm still deciding on whether to get a 5 string or not. It would be my first bass.

peace

chi