Dean Razor NT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigmoe, Sep 22, 2003.

1. bigmoe

Sep 22, 2003
    Lubbock Tx.
    I am wanting to buy the Dean Razor NT,but i do not know how they sound?
    Can somebody please tell me how this bass sounds and are Dean Basses any good?:confused:
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you like the way it looks, don't worry about how it sounds.
  3. Hi bigmoe.
    I don't know about an NT, but I have a Dean Razor.
    I don't preform with it so I wasn't looking for bass for playing biker bars or auditoriums. I bought my Razor cuz it fit my requirements for recording my own songs.

First off, guitar is very light. I actually play lead guitar and look for a dense wood on the body, so I'm sure a serious bass player looks for that too.
    The grain on the body is really wide. Looks like white pine or something.

This has some bearing on the sound. The one I have is an economical instrument, not a pros instrument.

Personally, I like the sound of it.
    The down side to the sound is up around the fifteenth fret it sounds a bit tinny. The 'E' string sounds a bit muddy to me also.
    I run it through a peavey TNT, but I also tried it out on a Fender, Ampeg and a Roland. The highs and lows were the same on them.

For a starter bass, I'd say it's a good instrument to learn on. If I were looking for a bass to preform with and spend a lot of years with, I'd shop around for something else.

Possibly the NT is of better quality material than mine.

I saw this post the other day, and wasn't going to respond. But since it's kinda shy of replies, I figured I'd drop my low end opinion of the Razor. Just rememember, I'm a lead guitarist and use this bass only for my recordings. Maybe someone will come along with something more favorable to say about it.

The best thing I can recommend it to go to some place like Guitar Center and spend a few hours in your price range.
  4. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    I dont own a Dean Razor, But I do have a Dean Rhapsody fretless. Dean makes great basses for a good price, im suprised there not mentioned more. There built strong, are extremely playable, look great, and most importantly sound very much so like a modern high end bass, there not much for vintagey sounds or such, but you cant have everything....:D.

Now as far as the Razor NT goes. I dont actually own one, but they have one at my local music store. From what iv'e played of it, I didnt like it much. It was well balanced and very light, but it almost felt toylike, the neck is way to small for me. But you might dig the ultralight thing so.....Anyways, the tone was to...uh...clear i guess. It almost sounds like the got those single coils to sound like peizos. The main thing
    I remember from playing it was that no mztter what you did to the eq on the bass or your eq on the amp, it was always just too clinky dinky, might be good for slap, but not for much else. Now

The one dean bass i've always liked was the Jeff Berlin signature. Gets a ton of tonal variety, and having the bridge pickup that close gives you some funky options. or if you eq it right it gets smooth as can be, or very growly, kinda a warwick growl. Also, the new edge pro looks very interesting.
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    I like them alot..i think bass central still has one...i think the clinky sound is just the strings they use..thats all

6. bigmoe

Sep 22, 2003
    Lubbock Tx.
    Thanks for the info.