Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dean razor

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubberband, May 17, 2002.

1. rubberband

rubberband

May 17, 2002
    Does n e body have 1 of these? n e comments?

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    which razor?
    my local music store carries dean i haven't
    hade a complaint with them my friend has the cheapest dean and it is nice! the high end ean are really nice!!!!
    go for it!!!!
    steve

3. I bought a Dean Edge 1 about three months ago and I really like it. I bought it on a whim actually. I'd been kinda keeping my eye out for a cheap import (everybody should have at least one) but nothing I'd run into impressed me much. The music store up the street got a bunch of Deans in and as soon as I played it I knew...I have got to get me one of these! It has a pretty rowdy and unsophisticated sound to it which was what I liked about it, that and it has a neck as thin as a pencil.

Funny, the Ibanezes, the Fernandeses, the Squiers and the other cheap basses are still hanging there on the music store wall, but all the Deans are gone now. :D

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yep!
    i just bought my fernandes bass
    and i am off to sell don't get me wrong it is just that i want a higher end bass.
    the deans are nice!!!!
    the razor 2 are really nice!!!!!!
    they sound great!
    and they only cost $275 to me!!

steve

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Rented one while I had my bass worked on. Simple. Sounded good. Sleek styling. Liked my MIM Jazz better.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    go on ebay they are selling cheap!!

7. rubberband

rubberband

May 17, 2002
    i wanted 1 the first time i played it, they feel so good just resting on ur knee. But my dad didn't want me getting some "un-name" brand guitar.

8. tell him that Dean's have been around for (I think) over 20 years. and that artists like ZZ top and Pantera have played them. tell him Jeff Berlin (considered one of the best bassists in the world by many) plays one.
    I have a Dean Edge 4 fretless, a MLX7 guitar, and I bought my wife a Performer acoustic. IMO they are simply the best deal for the money period.
    check out their website. Dean Guitars

9. I'd like to try a Jeff Berlin signature bass some day, but I'd never buy one, or any other Dean instrument for that matter. That's my way of protesting against their sexist marketing. Not that it makes much of a difference, but still.

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    at my local music store they have a jeff sig bass.
    it is pretty nice.

steve

11. rubberband

rubberband

May 17, 2002
    im getting 1 fo sho now. Its a Razor 2 as far as i can do.

12. I have a Dean Razor NT and I think its great. The sound was kinda bright when i first got it but I think thats just cuase the strings were so new. Its really pretty and the top is really nice. The preamp is very flexible and not noisy at all. There is absolutly no hum when both pups and on and that when it sounds best (DUH). The only problem i had w/ it was when I first got it was that the action was a little too low and there was a little buzzing but thats normal.
    BTW: the body is awsome, its like 2 lbs and VERY comfortable.

13. I also have the Razor NT, and love it. I also have an Edge Q5 that is a great instrument.

I purchased my Razor NT from a dealer on the Dean BBS. I got the trans-amber finish, and had it delivered to my door for $479 ($459 for Bass, $20 for delivery). For that kind of money for a neck through, it kicks the sh!t out of any botique bass.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Bass Player recently tested the neck through Razor and they liked it. Based on my experience with Dean I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I like the more expensive Dean Razor, especially the natural finish neck through. Very light, sleek and I seem to remember it possesses a credible set of sounds.

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Say that again? Sexist marketing? What ads were those? I personally have seen just the Jeff Berlin -ads so I find it a bit odd that they would do overly sexist stuff after those.

(I personally like nice basses and beautiful women tho, and even better if they are in the same picture :D but distasteful stuff is just distasteful )

17. Sure, I'll say that again, but this time I will use a picture to back up what I say. A picture of one of the "famous" Dean girls. This one might not be a recent ad, but still:

[​IMG]

You can find more of this on Dean's website, where you'll also see pictures from different trade shows. They keep scantily clad ladies in their booths as well. :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't mind this kind of marketing if the girl in the picture actually looked as if she knew how to play the guitar, or if the girls in the booths were great players demonstrating guitars, or if the people (of the fairer sex) used in the marketing actually wore clothes, and wasn't just used as human guitar stands. Jeff Berlin, and that guy who plays bass with Wierd Al, are shown playing in the ads for their respective basses, so why do the guitar ads look like they do?
    There are probably many more things to be said about this, but I'll stop right here, concluding that Dean's marketing strategies leaves a lot to be desired.
    Hope I haven't started a war now...

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Oh, I see what you mean. They truly are used as marketing products. But then again, they're ment for guitarists, so it's logical they have naked women in them.

No, wait, if guitarists have girls in their ads and bassists have hairy men, doesen't that mean that Dean thinks bassists are..

EWW! :eek: :D

19. rubberband

rubberband

May 17, 2002
    i wanna feel the "difference". Its not uncommon for a company whos main demographic is male to show there product with girls around.

20. Ha! That isn't sexist! Sexist would be if they refused to sell their products to women. A pretty girl in a bathing suit isn't sexist.