Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Rhapsody 8 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, May 24, 2001.

1. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am still interested in the Dean Rhapsody 8 string bass and I wanted to know what people though of it. I read the recent BP review (but I never really trust those reviews). Does anyone own one? If so how does it sound? Is it easy to play? I am normally a 4 stringer, but have been looking for something "different". would it be easy to play adapting from a 4-string and playing finger style? No local stores have one to try.
    Other than Pearl Jam "Jeremy" are there other examples of 8 tring bass sounds out there (Jeremey may have been done on a 12 string, but I'm not sure).
    The Rhapsody looks cool (but is it red or is it brown? I have seen photos that show it both ways and I like the brown much better than the red).

Thanks

-KB

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Jeremy was played on a 12-string.

Examples of 8-string bass sounds can be heard on "Trick of the Light" by The Who on Who Are You. John Entwistle uses an 8-string occasionally, though I can't think of too many off the top of my head.

Also, though I can't think of examples of songs, both Greg Lake and John Paul Jones have been known to occasionally play one.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    We had one @ work & I thought is was GREAT!!!!! I'm thinking of getting one. Feels really nice, plays nice & it sounds great (yeah it has EMG-HZ's w/a 3 band pre-amp) I had a Warmoth 8 string J bass w/ passive p/u's & sold it a while back. It'll take alittle geting used to. It better when played w/a pick (IMO).

4. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    for a specific example by Greg Lake: I'm pretty sure the first part of "Tarkus" by ELP was done with an 8-string.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Other notable 8-string players:

Doug Pinnick
    Mark Egan
    Jimi Hendrix (occasionally)
    John Paul Jones (at least on new recordings)

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Can anyone tell me if they actually are red or or they brown? I have seen pictures of both and the dean website makes it look brown.

-KB

7. Veych

Veych

May 25, 2001
    The Dean website says
    "Colors: Bubinga, TBK" - Bubinga is the brown color the Bass is shown with on the website. TBK is transparent black.
    So there is no red optional as far as I see.
    That is at least what the website says.
    You could ask the guys at Dean - they have great customer e-mail support (very fast!)
    address: info@deanguitars.com

8. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The one in Bass Player (for the review) looks more red. I like the brown better though

-KB

9. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    I played one a few weeks back at a used store. The color was psuedo-black with a brownish tint.

In general, I thought it was an excellent 8 string. The neck played rather nice and wasn't wimpy....although it's not the most stable neck in the world.

The sound was top notch. The EMGs are budget models, but sounded great for the price.

I very fun bass to play.

>>>>

As for 8 string players, one that makes a career of it is Doug Pinnich of Kings-X.

An 8 string is rather useful in a trio situation when the bass must keep rythm underneath a guitar solo or melody. In a band with a few guitars, it would be overkill.

>>>>

I'mm sure you're aware, but an 8 string is usually tuned to the octave. A 12 string is usually strung to the octave and the 5th.

Have fun

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, though you can tune a 12 string any way you want, the way they're usually presented is a root and TWO octaves, no 5ths. Using 5ths would be out of key in some key signatures. Using 2 octaves, though exactly the same note, fattens up the sound a bit, which is the reason for making 12-strings instead of 8.

11. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Not usually true. I have one of each, and both are tuned strictly to octaves. All accounts I've read indicate that "standard" tuning is:
    8 string - Ee Aa Dd Gg
    12 string - Eee Aaa Ddd Ggg

(where "E" is the normal bass guitar pitch and "e" is the octave above it.)

I've played the Dean Rhapsody in a music store, and it seems well made. I didn't plug it in. It was set up well and seems sturdy and playable.

Some additional stuff...

When playing a bass with multiple "courses", you generally will not be able to play everything that you can normally play on a "regular" bass. It takes more finger strength to hold down multiple strings, and it slows you down considerably, as you'll often have to put the whole meaty part of your finger down rather than just the tip.

8's and 12's are also generally "louder" than 4 strings, since there's more metal vibrating over the pickups (and having two notes sounding in octaves tends to multiply the perceived volume) - often you'll need to adjust your volume if you switch basses.

Give me a bit - I'll put up a sample of what a 12 sounds like.

12. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    As if one vocabulary policeman over "usually" isn't enough, I have two!

Maybe I should have prefaced, "The guys I know...." Lo Siento.

Heck, go to www.12stringbass.com and figure out what they play.....

13. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I hope this works... this is a track from our upcoming studio album. This is just a short (0:26) clip of it, and it's a rough clip (no vocals, no effects, no mastering) but you can hear the two distinct voices of the 12 string bass.

In the first part, you hear me playing a drone note and some chordal movements while the keyboards and guitars are going off. Then in breaks into the groove, and I'm just chugging along.

Incidentally, the two parts have completely different amp settings/EQ, and I'm playing with a pick the whole time.

And... oh yeah... I tune the 12 in drop "D."

http://www.secondstorymusic.com/studio/truthis.m3u

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I think they look sweet & sound good [only played 1 12 string] but where/how can you get strings for these? i mean here its hard enough to find a 6 string set. Like do you use a 4 string bass set + a 12 string guitar set & ditch the extra strings? mainly curious