Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Rhapsody 8 - Wow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akuma12, Aug 30, 2003.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I just tried a Dean Rhapsody 8 at a music store here and was absolutely amazed at the sound of an 8 string bass. I loved it! But I still want a 6 string bass, so I was curious...does anyone make 12 string basses that are a 6 string doubled up like an 8 string? I think that would be THE bass for me.

Also, can 8 strings be applied to any kind of music, or would it be inappropriate to bring it to a jazz session, perhaps? Thanks!

Jim

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think i have yet to see a 12 string like that. Maybe thats because i havent been loookin really, but i havent come across them.

3. Maybe bring a regular bass just in case the rest of the band thinks you're taking up too much space. In a 3 piece it would be sweet, especially when the guitarist is soloing.

I got a Dean Rhapsody 4 sting with the bubinga top, It's awesome! It's got a really unique tone. I keep it tuned DGCF.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I don't know of any doubled-sixes in mass-production, but there are customs like that. I believe John Paul Jones has a Manson or 2 that are doubled-6'ers.

I've got a Dean Rhapsody 8 too, and I think it's pretty decent. My recent FBB 8 is a little more versatile, and tends to fit most situations because the string spacing is wide enough to play only the bass strings, so that helps a little if things are getting a little too thick.

I'm loving 8-strings lately, they really have a unique range. Hope you end up with one.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I think JPJ´s basses are 5 string doubled (10 string)

6. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    There are a couple doubled 6's on Hugh Manson's page... http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk. Really nice looking basses, but so far beyond my price range, that, if Einstein's theories have any credence, they're coming back around. :D *subtle reference to Terry Pratchett*

There have been a couple threads about getting a custom bridge made, but from what I've read, the bridge alone is in the $1000 range, and that's not even considering the neck. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to deal with getting 2 different basses *grins*

Jim

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    JPJ has a few 10's, but he has at least one 12 also. I guess his page is down now, unfortunately.

But here's a pic from the Manson site (under the JPJ gallery):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Ok, upon further browsing, it turns out he has at least 2:
    [​IMG]

some interesting basses there, worth a peek:
    JPJ gallery @ Manson

I can't get it to link there, but you go to 'artists', then 'JPJ'

9. 6 string tripled

[​IMG]

10. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Where's that from, floydbass? Looks like a custom job, but I could be mistaken. Nice looking though :)

Jim

11. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Just wondering as I never held one of those in my unworthy hands...is it as easy to play on an eight string bass (as in four strings doubled, not as one of those Conklin Godzillas) as it is on a 'normal' four string?
    I mean, I can imagine about the slapping, but can you play a good syncopated funk line, or some U2 like straight eight notes rock...

And didn't we got a bass because it was two strings less to tune then a guitar? :)

12. its a custom but the company will make you one if you ask

13. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    It's actually not bad at all. The one I played had the octave string above the low string, and finger picking was pretty much the same. You kinda don't even notice the octave string. The strings are pretty close together, so the spacing between the main strings is still pretty wide, giving you plenty of room to play around in. I was very impressed and I never thought I'd like an 8 string :)

Jim

14. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    To floydbass: how much would one of those run? Just kinda curious if that might be something worth saving up for :D

Jim

15. i dunno but i would guess mabye 1000 dollars or up

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    probably 'up'

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    cough... King's X .... cough.

If you like an 8 string you should try a 12 string with each of the four EADG tripled. Doug Pinnick of King's X (A band I really like a lot) has the most signature multi-string sound that I can think of. In a trio it works -fantastic-.

I've tried them in music stores and they play fairly easily.

Can you imagine a 18 string bass with 6 strings tripled? The headstock would be bigger than the body!!! :eek:

18. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    e-mail dave of dp customs or try fbb. im sure they would do it

steve

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Did Allen Woody have an 18 string bass?

(*triple course/2 Octave of a 6 string bass: Bbb Eee Aaa Ddd Ggg Ccc).

JT needs a 24 stringed 36 fret Conk!:bassist: :D

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No.

A 48 stringed double neck Conk.

It would be about as easy to tune as a friggin' harp.