Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Rhapsody HBF

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by keithconn, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Hey guys -

I need some feedback about this guitar. It is the semi hollow Dean fretless Rhapsody. It looks real cool, looks comfortable, but have never seen one in person, or played one. If you have any info on it please let me know! I am seriously considering laying down some cash for it soon ...

Thanks!
    K.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know why nobody noticed this the first time through. There are several people on the board who have played one, one guy who owned one for a while, and another who just bought one. Maybe you will get a bite this time.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I played one a while back. Nice playability, nice construction, the regular price was fair at $399, this one was $299. The only thing I didn't like about it was the pickup placement. I really like bridge pickups on a fretless and this one in the "sweetspot" really didn't capture the sound at the bridge.

Then again, maybe the sweetspot on a fretless is at the bridge;)

4. I've never played that Dean, but we have 3 Deans, and I can say the quality and construction are 1st rate for the price range.

5. Thanks Brad, Chump ... I am still trying to decided what I want to do. And it is not an easy decision. I have also looked at the fretted version of this Dean HB - just to make my learning a little eaiser. But then I wonder if you loose some of the sound from the HB fretless ... They don't seem to match.

Then I started thinking of my original idea of getting a p-bass and calling it a day. I do not like the look of Fenders(or the idea of driving a Ford), but every time I go to the store they are my favorite bass to play with!

Which leads me to ask my next question:
    How about those P-bass/J-bass jobs? Which is something I am going to post on its own ...

thanks for your help.
    K.:D

6. tvan1988

tvan1988

Apr 16, 2001
    Wamego, Kansas
    I don't know if this will help you any, but I've owned 8 Dean basses over the past 3 years and I absolutly love them. I just bought an Edge 5 fretless and it is excellent. I have been very satisfied with the quality of every Dean I have ever owned.

7. I have that Dean bass!!! And it plays awsome, looks great cool as hell, nice passive EMG pickup in that badboy too...
    Mine is fretted,so i don't know about the frettless version.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Bump

Well is there anyone else who has played one other than Brad? I too have looked at these online and wondered what they would be like.