Dean Rhapsody?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Was on BNW, saw this bad boy, looked almost carl thompsonish, and it was a Dean Rhapsody fiver, now, had sanybody tried these basses? It looked very distictive, and I think a Rhapsody 5ver might be what I'm looking for if it's a good bass. Doesn't say on the Dean Website, but does anyone know if it's also a six stringer?

[Edited by Brendan on 01-03-2001 at 10:43 PM]
  2. Hey Brendan, I played a Dean Rhapsody 5-string recently. It was smoke gray with a quilt maple top. It had a two-piece bridge too, like a Warwick. I thought it played pretty well.. the action was nice and low, with not too much buzzing. It's definitely a good slapper. The B string was OK but not great. I didn't plug it in. I flipped through the Dean catalog they had there, and it didn't show a 6-string version.
    I worry about the workmanship on a bass that has a quilt top, active electronics and fancy hardware and still only costs $549. But I could be wrong. Some of this Dean stuff is a little nicer than I want it to be, if you know what I mean!
  3. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Having owned a Dean Edge 5 and seen that you can get a fairly good bass for a little money, I'm really intrigued by the 8 and 12 string Dean Rhapsodys. Anyone played one? Of course, the closest Dean dealer around here doesn't have either.

Sep 10, 2000
    Does anybody know where to get those?