Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Rhapsody?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Was on BNW, saw this bad boy, looked almost carl thompsonish, and it was a Dean Rhapsody fiver, now, had sanybody tried these basses? It looked very distictive, and I think a Rhapsody 5ver might be what I'm looking for if it's a good bass. Doesn't say on the Dean Website, but does anyone know if it's also a six stringer?

[Edited by Brendan on 01-03-2001 at 10:43 PM]

2. Hey Brendan, I played a Dean Rhapsody 5-string recently. It was smoke gray with a quilt maple top. It had a two-piece bridge too, like a Warwick. I thought it played pretty well.. the action was nice and low, with not too much buzzing. It's definitely a good slapper. The B string was OK but not great. I didn't plug it in. I flipped through the Dean catalog they had there, and it didn't show a 6-string version.
    I worry about the workmanship on a bass that has a quilt top, active electronics and fancy hardware and still only costs $549. But I could be wrong. Some of this Dean stuff is a little nicer than I want it to be, if you know what I mean!

3. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland
    Having owned a Dean Edge 5 and seen that you can get a fairly good bass for a little money, I'm really intrigued by the 8 and 12 string Dean Rhapsodys. Anyone played one? Of course, the closest Dean dealer around here doesn't have either.

4. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    Does anybody know where to get those?