1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Sledgehammer 5....what can you tell me about it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Sep 27, 2009.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I've been stumbling around the internet, looking for a good every day 5-er to transfer my abusive tendencies to, instead of my G&L.

Some of my criteria are:
    Active electronics
    Ash body
    preferrable maple neck
    at least one MM style pickup
    2.75" to 3" string spacing at the bridge.

Then I stumbled on the Dean Sledgehammer 5...and it meets ALL of the above.

[​IMG]

and it looks cool, too!!!!

so what else can you tell me about this bass?
    I'm looking for punch & growl.
    what is the sting spacing? it does look to be at least 2.75"...could be more (a good thing)

this could be up my alley

2. i have one, it's a nice bass...good craftsmanship (made in korea), neck is wide and flattish while still being pretty thin, string spacing is 2 13/16" at the bridge, it sounds about like one would expect (pretty nice stingray-ish thing happening), 35" scale with a .130 B is nice (i like hi-beams)

things i didn't care for:

preamp could be more flexible (it is boost only, which limits the tonal options somewhat)
    mine had polyurethane on the frets (!!) so it sounded buzzy and horrible until i fixed that
    the black paint on the headstock had to go (purely a personal preference but i think it looks much better now)

i bought mine blind (floor model, from ebay) and would do it again, but i doubt i would pay full retail price for one, especially without checking it out in person first

fives.

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    These interest me, however one of the stock pics I've seen has some of the worst grain matching ever. I like the Thumb-esque shape, and the blonde look. From Deans I've played before, the electronics would have to go immediately.

Your Yamaha is missing a string?

4. Correction, it's missing d string.:bag:

:p

5. I think that's one sexy bass... Agreed though, it looks better without the headstock paint.

Is it me or is the pickup much closer to the bridge than a Stingray?

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, it certainly looks like it. I'm guessing it will sound brighter than most Rays as a result, provided that it isn't passive. The three knobs/one pickup combination kind of suggests that it's active (including BOOCAKE4U's post which I don't seem to have read through thoroughly.) :D

7. mine has a two-piece body and near-perfect grain matching (you have to be literally inches away to even see the seam, took me a week to notice and i checked it out thoroughly when i got it), but yes, i have seen some that were pretty butcherblocky...

the electronics are not too bad, bass and treble rolled off gives you a nice farty midrange honk-honk fingerstyle tone very easily, rolling them in gives you nice deep bass and very bright treble, but it very quickly becomes more than you can really make use of, in terms of level (in my opinion)...when i first got it i had planned to add a J style pickup by the neck for a little more versatility (and i still might, eventually) but i think playing with an aftermarket preamp might be more fun (that ebay reproduction of the old 2 band stingray EQ, perhaps)

yes, the yamaha is waiting on a refinish before getting a new set of strings (has some chipping on the treble side of the body and i really don't care for that "flat blue elroy jetson" finish anyway)

yep yep

p.s. i will try to get a better pic sometime, that one is pretty old and was taken in low natural light and with a motorcycle in the living room, blocking all the good angles

8. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    the "D" 12th fret inlay ruins it for me..

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    really? that's barely noticable...It would suck if it were the "D" every other fret, though.

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I saw some good close up pics of the fretboard of one, and it looks like it's polyurethane free, like many basses out there. Doesn't look to have any poly on the neck whatsoever...weird.

I kind of like the black headstock.

thanks for all your input.

...guess what I bought...?
    [​IMG]

11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Looks like it has room for 2 more MMs...

avillani89 likes this.
  12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    was thinking about what it would take to add one more and some coil tap switches.....;)

13. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    When Tax time rolls around next year,I may buy a Sledgehammer 5 Ash.(That is if there are any left)I'll probably add a coil tap switch IF the pickup has four wire leads.If it doesn't,a Carvin HB5 will be dropped in.Other than that,It seem to be perfect with one pickup considering the fact that I play the bridge pickup 99% of the time.

14. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Yes!Thread from the dead!

In 2010 I was looking for a Dean Sledgehammer 5Ash.
    I couldn't find one and gave up.

Fast forward to 4.26.15.
    Thanks to a link posted by eastcoasteddie,I will have a Sledgehammer Ash 5 on Friday this week! h2bgjodtlnd9yl3wavix.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  15. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    And here she is! Snapshot_2015501 (6).

eastcoasteddie likes this.
  16. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Nice grain on that one...

How heavy is it. The one I have now is about 11 lbs (or close to it). I bought a 2nd one soon after and it was about 9 lbs, but the body was absolutely beautiful...2-piece and perfectly matched. I sold it because I just needed cash and I likes how the heavier one sounded better....seemed to have much more balls...even my wife heard the difference...:eyebrow:
    (The one on the left)
    DSC_2064.
    That stingray is gone too, BTW...I sold that one because I never used it anymore...and I kind of stopped liking its tone...it was great when I did like it though...

17. Nice G&L

18. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    You know,the strange thing about my bass?

It was made in 2004.
    I assumed that it was used.

Other than some minor belt buckle rash,there are practically no signs of wear!No scratches!
    It's clean!

No finger smudges on the fingerboard.
    Nothing!Other than some dust on top of the pickup and bridge.
    Is this thing new?
    I wonder.
    Did it sit around untouched for 11 years?And I bought it for $350.00?!?!

Last edited: May 9, 2015