1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean Sledgehammer 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hemitom, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    Has anyone else tried one of these?I just played a mahogany bodied 5 and I am actually quite impressed and suprised at the low end growl this bass has ! Nice even sound across the strings,35" scale and a nice 2 band EQ to boot. Has anyone played the ash 4 or 5 string version.:bassist:

2. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Dean's basses are very good value. I have a Dean Edge fretless (around $300) in which I upgraded the electronics. It compares well with $1500 basses. It seems that all of the basses are pretty much the same platform with some changes to the wings on the body.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I used to own one. Beware of the bridge, the saddles tend to break. Others have had this problem as well. They sound pretty good though.

4. Westland,

If I recall an earlier post of yours - you upgraded your Dean to a Bartolini setup, did you not?

Which model of pickups/preamp did you use? I have a Dean Edge 4 Fretless (which I really enjoy, by the way) - but I'm very interested in putting Bartolini electronics in the bass as my custom fretless' electronics are simply the bomb (no buzz, very silent and modable).

Thanks,
    Jay

5. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I upgraded with the DC4's from Nordstrand, and replaced the preamp with an Aguilar OBP-2 (there were only 4 knobs on the bass, so this was the choice). The upgrade was more than the cost of the bass, but it makes a very nice improvement. You get a lot of detail in the mwah of the strings (I have TI jazz flats on it). It is also the easiest of my basses to play ... it seems very fast. I just wish my intonation were better.

6. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Here's a picture

Attached Files:

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    This is the Sledgehammer? I swear I heard somewhere that this bass could pull of a nice Wal impression. Is this true?

8. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    This is the Dean Sledgehammer 5 in mahogany.Jammed with it again last night and I'm amazed at the sustain and thump it has...The mahogany neck and body perhaps?

9. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    No, mine is the Edge (the last pic is the Sledgehammer) ... the pole pieces on the pups are the Nordstrand's ... the original Dean pups were just flat plain soapbars, warm and muddy. The Nordstrands are harmonically rich, with a lot of detail.

10. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ah...my mistake. It's the Hammer model that I thought was the one that sounds like a Wal. Here it is.

http://www.deanguitars.com/edge_hammers.htm

Anybody have any info? Does it have some sort of Wal tone? Or at least somewhat aggressive?

11. Thanks, Westland - at some point I may do exactly the same thing. Who was your dealer for the upgrade?

Jay