Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dean Sledgehammer maple 5 string, hot or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Jul 22, 2005.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The Dean Sledgehammer line wears its influence high on its sleeve (Warwick Corvette, anyone?). I've seen the mahogany 4 string version and didn't think much of it. I didn’t even bother to try it out. Then I came across the 5 string maple/ash version online and thought, "hmmmm!"

Has anyone tried out or own the Sledgehammer 5 string in the maple/ash version? Very curious.

Thanks

r

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think it looks pretty slick, actually both of them. I like the copycat basses because most of the time, the copier does a very nice job at reproducing the other bass in mind. I've yet to see one of the Sledgehammers in person to play, but by looks alone, I think they've nailed the Thumb/Corvette thing as well.

3. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I play one and LOVE it. I sold my Musicman 5 to buy this. It is so light and I love the tone. The MM had a SD bassline puckup and the stock dean kills!! I am going to buy an ash soon. I just hope it's not that much heavier. Good luck!! Joe

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow, you actually let go of a MM 5 WITH a SD pickup? You must really like this Dean. You know, I just saw that 4 string Sledgehammer at the same shop just yesterday. I was very tempted to try it out but then figure...nah. Well...maybe I'll give it a shot. More so, I'll seek out a 5 string. Still it’s the ash/maple model I'm really interested in. My guess is that it has to be a little heavier than the mahogany unless its swamp ash.

Say, if you get yr hands on the ash model, give this thread the scoop!

Thanks.

r

5. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Where did you find the maple/ash version online?

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I originally saw the 5-string ash version in a magazine (Bass Player?). I then searched the net for it and found a couple of places that either had it or was in the processes of getting one. Most places who handle Dean guitars seem to have the mahogany version and apparently the ash version is the same price. This was a couple of weeks ago and I don’t recall the shops that carried them. Do a Google search, that’s what I did.

r

7. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Played the ash version a couple days ago, just couldnt get a good punch out of it, didnt like the laquered fingerboard, it made the bass look kinda cheesy. The weight was great for an ash bass. The pickup IMO is way too far back so that limits players who opt for a thicker more beefy sound. The bass overall is good but I wouldnt use it for a main axe. The edgehammer was a MUCH better sounding bass, lots of balls. Ebay has a couple of 'em brand new.

8. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Yea, I pick way back by the pickup, some times on top of it. I play pretty fast with that HUGE fender triangle pick. I don't know the thickness, but it's the biggest one I have seen. Anyway, I play thru a Groove bass head (800 watts) and an Ampeg 610 cab. I love the sound. I use a little overdrive and am set. The B sound really good. I use quite a bit of open strings on breakdowns and such. Our guitar player uses a custom shop Jackson 7 string, so we can get pretty heavy at times. The mahogany sledgehammer is the lighest bass I have played besides the hollow bodies. I looks good and it's only $500 with a 5 year warrenty. It's pretty hard to beat that, for a non custom. Later Joe

9. jammoore

jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Interesting, I've never really looked at the Sledge Hammer before. It really has the body shape of the Warwick Dolphin. Cool. Keep us posted.

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    How odd, you'd think the ash/maple combo would actually have more punch than the mahogany/wedge. And I suppose some sort of protection is needed for the fret board hence the lacquered finish. Maybe it’s a wood thing but I find it strange that you need only occasionally apply a little lemon oil to a wedge, rosewood, or ebony board but with maple you have to use something more durable (ever notice how funky E. Van Halen’s maple fretboards are, he doesn’t use finish, he likes the bare wood too). Beats me. Also, I did notice the middle pickup being pretty far back to the bridge which you'd figure would limit the tonal variety. Yet there seems to be no complaints about tonal range with the mahogany version let along all those Warwick’s that do the same thing. I wonder why? I mean, is it really all in the wood?

r

11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I have played the mahogany EDGEhammer with the double pups and its FAT, really digs in, I've only played the ash SLEDGEhammer and it just didnt do it for me through any of the amps in the store, the mohagany SLEDGEhammer may sound a lot better, does it really have a wenge neck? didnt know that :meh:

12. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Okay, my bad. The Sledgehammer has one MM pickup in the bridge. The mahogany model has a mahogany neck not wenge (wenge, ha! what was I thinking in this price range?). I guess I momentarily went insane and started thinking of Warwick with their 2 J pickups both close to the bridge when the Sledge actually only has one humbucker—duh. That other Dean model (Edgehammer) is also all mahogany, neck and body but has a more traditional J/P-ish type body and sports 2 humbucking pickups. Given the setup, its only natural the Edgehammer would have a fuller sound with that additional pickup in the mid position.

My guess is that the mahogany Sledgehammer would sound a bit darker but not likely radically different than the ash one you tried.

Sorry for the confusion.

r

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Yeah, wish they had the EDGEhammer in a six, I'd purchase one in a heartbeat!!!!!

14. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Well Dean may not make an Edgehammer in a 6, but this puppy they offer doesn't look half bad: http://www.deanguitars.com/edge_q_6.htm

r

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    You know I loved everything about that bass, except two things:
    1.Way to tight string spacing.( I like at the very LEAST18 mm.)
    2.Gloss finish

Two things the EDGEhammer does'nt have :) Thats what makes it cool.

Does dean even have a custom shop?

16. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    They dont have a custom shop. They have whats called the DOA bass. Every year they make a bass that is like a custom shop bass, but make 25 of them. You vote online line for the specs you want and they build what has the most votes(mostly). Later Joe

17. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Can anyone tell me what kind of neck profile these Sledges have?
    Something like Warwick, Musicman etc?

...I need a good second bass (and a third Guitar :hyper: ) and Deans are leading the choicepack. My problem is that Dean doesn't have a dealer in finland = no chance to test them buggers (and I'll have to order them from Germany if I choose to buy one).

Help me!