1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Sledgehammer. Thumbs up or down?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzcaster89, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    This guys on the local swap. I had a Dean edge active in the late 90s and loved it. This bass looks great but I haven't kept up with this company in many years. Guys asking 700. Worth it? Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

Nunovsky likes this.
  2. We don't see a whole lot of Dean basses here at TB compared to other brands ... not sure why(?) I don't know if its worth the price, but it sure is pretty.

3. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    I was hoping to trade a guitar for it. He turned me down. I wouldn't pay that much cash for it. I was thinking more 450ish.

wvbass likes this.
  4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I believe these retailed around $750-800 new. I liked the one i played but not for $700, i think 450ish is more like it.

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    If you like a very light bass made of swamp ash.....Thumbs up!
    If you like a crisp,bright sounding bass........Thumbs up! Sledgehammer 5. Considering that these basses have been discontinued for quite some time.
    And that they are increasingly harder to find............

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Jazzcaster89 likes this.
  7. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    Yea he's not budging on the price. I'm passing on it. It's a shame. Great looking bass. I didn't pay that for my favorite US jazz bass though.

8. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    good call. you can get a whole-lotta used bass for $700.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Some people are just determined to recoup what they paid for bass even if there is no great demand for that bass.

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I still have mine, purchased new from a guitar store for $450, though it was sitting at the store for two years...
    I added a 2nd pickup and modded the preamp a bit, but still the original preamp module.

DC019319-79BD-4195-ABF1-18A568B85FEB.

My particular bass is on the heavier side, about 10lbs. The body wood is so hard and dense...I burned out my routing bit while doing th neck pickup route.

It isn't too comfortable of a player, (35" scale, 24 frets and a looonnng neck...) but it's tone totally makes up for that.

One thing I seriously didn't like about the bass was the bridge it comes with. That bridge is designed for through-body stringing only, but Dean decided they could use it. They routed big, ugly holes under the bridge so that there is room to "hook" the ball of the string under the bridge to secure it. Whenever I replaced strings, I had to loosed about three bridge saddles to get the string out and then re-intonate them. PITA.
    So I bought a standard bridge and filled in those holes with wood putty. Can barely notice it...
    Can't run string through on this bass because the battery box is in that area in back.

I had a 2nd one of these back in 2011 wth a beautifully matched 2-piece body (mine is mismatched 3-piece). But that one was about a pound lighter and just didn't have that big, fat, thick-assed growl that this one has. It had more highs, though...but t didn't matter because these are bright basses to begin with, as gebass6 mentioned.

$700 is way too much. For mint condition and untouched, I wouldn't pay more than $450...but it is practically a blank canvas....

Edit:
    Forgot to mention, the back of the neck has a compound profile. More rounded at frets 1-5, then gets really wide and flat from there up. It has something like a 18" fretboard radius.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    gebass6 and Jazzcaster89 like this.
  11. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    They are great looking basses. I really don't need another bass. My goal for the new year is to working on getting my tone where I want it. Not buying more basses. I would have taken it for a strat trade though. Oh well!

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would never in a million years pay that much for one, but my buddy Woody from Gary Puckett And The Union Gap has been using a 5-string Sledgehammer with Gary for years and he sounds great. Sounds more Stingrayish than I personally like, but Woody goes for that thing, and it works very well for him.

13. Joe Iriana

Joe Iriana

Jan 2, 2017
    I bought a used Dean Sledgehammer bass last month ($350). I liked the look of it immediately: mahogany body and neck, single pickup, 5 string. I liked the way it played even though the action was too high. The store owner adjusted the action and put a new set of strings on it. The scale length is an inch longer than my previous bass so that was a small adjustment. I'm starting to fall in love with this thing. I actually named it: Gabriel. Why? Because it wants to be my sledgehammer!

Jazzcaster89 likes this.
  14. Jazzcaster89

Jazzcaster89

Oct 3, 2016
    Nice! If I ever come across one at the right price I might have to grab it.

15. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
  16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I like Sledgehammers a lot. I don't like $700 Sledgehammers much at all, though.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

It has that Stingray vibe for sure.

18. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    There was a guy on my local CL selling an immaculate mahogany one with HC for $100 a few weeks ago! It also had an upgraded Badass bridge. He wasn't sure how much it was worth but needed the money. Of course I was interested in it as it was so inexpensive, but because he was a family man trying to make ends meet, I instead told him to raise the price as it was worth way more than that. I believe he ended up selling it for around $300.

B-Mac, Dark Horse and UNICORN BASS like this.
  19. Sharknose79

Sharknose79 UNPAID greenboy/fEARful endorser

Sep 15, 2011
    South Cackalacky
    I have nothing to disclose at this time.
    BUMP.

That bass isn't $700

......it's $375 plus $15 shipping right now....hell I might buy this.

20. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    He must have realized that $700 wasn't realistic....

Sharknose79 and Jazzcaster89 like this.