1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dean Stylist Hollow Body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mr sprocket, Dec 9, 2006.

1. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Anyone have or play a Dean Stylisy hollow body? I am looking for opinions. How does it play and sound. How does it compare to other hollwo body basses.

2. Espidog

Espidog

May 19, 2006
    UK
    I bought one not long ago, and we're getting along fine. The standard of finish is excellent, especially for the price. The only things I have changed on it are the pickups, because the ones it comes with from the factory have very low output. I replaced them with the other extreme, output-wise: John Birch Magnum 2s - very hot!

I put in a TB review about the Stylist, which tells you more than I can here. Here it is:
    http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/980/cat/13

I'm in the UK, where these guitars sell for about double the price you would pay in the US. Even so, I still think it was good value for the money.

If you still have any questions, feel free to PM me.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I believe Ed Goode just picked one up (username: pointbass) and likes it a lot.

4. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    You rang??? :D

I should say that I'm very much in my "honeymoon" phase with this bass, so anything I say here could just be infatuation ..... You should also know that I'm primarily a 6 & 7 string player, so my normal playing time on a 4 string is very limited. And I haven't played a 32" scale bass in many years, and it's been even longer since I played a hollowbody.

That said, I have to very much agree with what Espidog said in his review referenced above, which is a pretty fair and even handed assessment of the bass. I find it hard to imagine that these basses are as reasonably priced as they are. (I bought mine as a NOS demo for about $250, and it is in absolutely mint condition .... new they usually sell at street pricing for around $400 +/-).

I originally bought this bass after messing around with one just like it over the summer. I wanted something that I could take when we visit friends or when I do the occasional small church folk-type gigs. But I've been amazed by the sweetness of the tone and the great playability of the bass. As Espidog said in his review, the neck is perfectly in tune with no dead spots or other wierdness. The fretwork is surprisingly excellent for an inexpensive axe.

My only issue with it is feedback when I'm at a higher volume. I have found that I need to be at least 10' away from the cabinets when playing at typical gig volume, and sometimes I don't have that luxury. Plus, I really need to use at least a 6 for most dates I play, so between some of the feedback issues and the fact that it's a 4 string, I can see the bass being more of a personal use axe, as compared to a gigging bass for me.

But it's a very cool axe, and I'm enjoying it every time I play it. Plus it's really a pretty sucker ... I never fail to get compliments when people see it. (Added bonus .... Mrs PointBass thinks it's very beautiful and it doesn't get mentioned in the "Why do you need so many basses" discussions that crop up every now and then ;) )

Like I said above, I echo Espidog's review of the bass ... it's a nice bass and very much fun to play .....

Here's the mandatory token bass pic ..... :cool:

[​IMG]

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I should check one of these out sometime , Ed's surf green one is wild !

6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA

Hard to tell on my monitor, is that surf green or baby blue?

Anyway, it's a nice looking bass!!! :hyper:

7. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    According to Dean, it's called Sea Foam Green. According to my wife (who is an artist), it's turquoise. Either way, that pic is pretty darn close to the actual color, maybe just slightly less blue in real life ...

8. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Sounds good, there were a few on ebay I missed lately at good prices. I keep leaning bewteen the Dean and the Washburn. I like that the Washburn comes in a 5 string version.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Looked at those, never held one...don't they make the "taxi" version?
    That thing's hawt!

10. Madness

Madness

Jul 27, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Yeah the 'Taxi' one caught my eye. That thing is smoking.

11. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    The Taxi version seeps of madness. I like it.

12. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Just scored a taxicab version on ebay. Let's see how it turns out.

13. Madness

Madness

Jul 27, 2005
    Madison, WI
    let us know!

14. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Just unpacked the cabbie this morning. I was a little worried since it was a b-stock and the price was good. It has blemish at the neck joint which was supposed to be a factory finish boo boo.

I was glad to get the bass in my hands and check the neck out. I was afraid the blemish might really because the neck was reglued. But the joint and neck look good and straight. It is even setup pretty well and plays alright. I will give it a good tryout later tonight at church.

My initial response is very good. The blemish is not noticable from the front and so it looks and plays good. The strings feel like D'addario nickels so I can leave those one for now. Next I need to decide on what strings will make it really shine.

15. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Oh and thanks to all the TBers that gave good info on the bass. This is my first online order of an instrument and looks like it might turn out very well.