1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Stylist, Ibanez AGB200, or Epi Casady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sidewinder IV, Sep 27, 2010.

1. I think I've narrowed my search down to one of these three basses. Just looking for input from those that play or have played these. My first bass was a hollow body and I'm now 20+ years later, I'm ready for one again. I have not played or heard the Dean, but it's two pickup arrangement has my interest, as does the AGB200. I mostly play modern rock and also play with a worship group. I want something that can be ran direct (worship setting) with or w/o a pedal and not be too bright. I need something that doesn't give up lows & mids. When I'm not playing direct I play through a combo amp. However, that is likely to change to an Ampeg micro V.

2. "Is there anybody out there?"

3. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The Jack Casady's tone is wonderful, and the varitone gives it a great range. Only negatives I've ever heard are bridges pulling out (just glue it back in) and crappy pots. I've had the pots issue, but no bridge problems.

Also, Stylist is out of production and AGB200 is short scale.

Bob

4. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I believe that the Ibanez is short scale and the Jack C. is full scale. My Stylist is a medium scale so I assume that they all are. As the ol' Bobster states, they are out of production. So you will have to find yours used. Good Luck, I haven't seen a used one for sale yet.

The Dean pick ups are passive, but I think they are quite high output. My Hofner, by comparison, has much lower output with the old black re-issue type pick ups, but the Hofner pick ups sound so much sweeter. So my amp is turned up for the Hofner. When I play the Dean at that same volume, I get the hum on one of the notes (forget which note though).

The tone pot on the Dean doesn't give you much tone variation and the volume does not have good continuity, but they work. The pick up selector toggle is sufficient (though mine was loose). Basically it's a cheap hollowbody, but it is made well enough that it was well worth the $300 I paid.

Overall I do love the Dean. I think it has a better acoustic tone than the AGB 200 that I tried at the store. The Ibanez is better constructed, but the Dean just sounded more woody. I tried the Jack C. once at the same store, but I dont know what all the hype is about - mind you, I am a total novice player and you can always find variation between instruments that are the same model. YMMV as they say. For me the Jack C was a fine instrument, but it didn't have as much of that acoustic tone that I like in the hollow body basses.

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Good advice from Avalon.

I'd also look at the Epiphone Zeniths. Very interesting.

6. jblock

jblock

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    The Ibanez AGB is a short scale but takes regular scale strings just fine. Nice woody tone, but it is thick like an acoustic guitar so can be awkward playing standing up. And of course there's the floating bridge to contend with if those annoy you. Very nice neck on this one. What I didn't like, and what turned me off to the Casady is that because of the arched back they tend to lean outward when you play standing. I also was not impressed with the build quality on the Casady, loose pots and such, but nothing that couldn't be fixed within a few minutes of time and the tone was great.

7. Haven't played the Dean, but I also have never played a Dean I love. The Casady is the only Epiphone I'd buy. The ABG has a more aggressive tone than the Casady, but I still don't think I'd buy a shorty.

8. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    The Ibanez AGB 140 is a discontinued long scale single humbucker version...Find one of them.

9. I have a beautiful Dean Stylist but from what I've read I would strongly advise you to buy one of these (the... "Accidental-Red-Improper-golden-hardware-on-this-color" at bottom is my own axe!). That is an Eastwood Classic 4: 30" scale, mighty and superb tone / sound; excellent playability. Bbbbeautiful, too (it does not hurt)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

157ne6e.jpg

And my "hotrodded" Stylist B1: with flats on, it's now a beautiful jazz machine:

wc1s1l.jpg

10. M. R. Ogle - I'm from Mt. Vernon! How 'bout that! I live in Troy, IL now. And, I just played a Zenith over here at Swing City. It's more like a chambered guitar w/f-holes. It has epi's new magna somethin pick up in it. It really is set up for jazz player. I'm sure it would work for country, but I'm not sure it's got enough umph for rock.

Avalon, you make some great points. I've only seen a Dean Stylist for sale once in the past 6-12 mos. It was on e-bay and I had a winning bid but it didn't meet the reserve. I sent a message to the seller to see if they were going to re-post and/or have a buy it now. Well, they reposted with a buy it now and someone swooped in and snatched it before I could. Curses! Since then, I've gravitated to the AGB200 and the Jack Casady. I don't have an opinion regarding short scale, but I do play standing up.

hmmmmm....I like the White Eastwood....how do they sound.

11. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Wow! Did you happen to note their asking price? If it was a "cabbie", I think they would be even more in demand. Mine is a sunburst.

12. Ehorizon

Ehorizon

Mar 6, 2009
    Lakewood, CO
  13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Sidewinder... Amazingly small world... We're up the 37 by the old golf course, north end of town. Deer in the yard every day!

I think I'll make the 55 mile trip over to Collinsville and try that same Epi Zenith myself.

Of course, the "Melody Shop" here in MtV doesn't have one, LOL!!!

14. "Melody Shop" ?! I didn't know they were still in business.

The stylist was a black one and went for just less than $400. I might have a line on a cabbie, though :D

I'm gonna check out the links on the Eastwood. Darn you guys, making this more difficult (really translating to Fun).

15. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Great basses, the local shop had some Eastwood's, Got me really wanting one. I like the Classic 4 a lot, and I like the Airline Map a lot as well. Very well made instruments. Very playable and great sounding.

16. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    You've narrowed down to an interesting set--the Ibanez is a semihollow 30" scale, the Dean Stylist is a large hollowbody 32" scale, and the Casady is a semihollow 34" scale. And the Stylist is out of production and will take patience for a good one to pop up.

You mention that your old bass was a hollow body: How about a 30" true hollowbody like the Ibanez AFB200?

[​IMG]

I've also read good things about the Kay Vintage Reissue Pro Bass, which includes the hardshell case:

[​IMG]

17. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
  18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think all three basses and the Eastwood are good candidates. I've played a couple of the Artcore line and liked them, but I only know the Dean and Eastwood from threads I've read. I bought the Casady gold top and it's a great sounding bass. The varitone switch gives it some versatility and everyone on my band loves the way it sounds. I'm not a real big guy (5'8") and the Casady is on the large side, but I have no problem playing it.

19. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Oh and by the way, you should check out this thread....

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692218

....and as a last thought, you could also consider the Aria Tab 66 and the Samick (Greg Bennet) Royale. I believe both are full scale and likely in that same price range.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021