Dean USA Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string fury, May 4, 2004.

1. i have a dean usa jazz, its alder body, rosewood board and too old to find any info on, buts its a dream to play, the only thing is that it has a sound problem. the jazz pickups seem to give a real loud sound from the E string then get progressively weaker/quieter as you pluck the A-G strings, (this is wen the EQ is flat) and even with amp eq added it doesnt help that much, i was wondering if anyone could suggest a set of new pickups I.E make, where they can be aquired (preferably inside the UK) etc. iv got no real ideas of what im looking for at the mo so all ideas welcome.
  2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Before checking into new pickups, just try raising the G-side, or lowering the E-side, of the existing pups. I've had to do this on jazz-style pickups on many of my basses. If that doesn't help then I am truly stumped.
  3. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    I am betting that is right on the money. I have the pickups on my Fender Jazz lower on the E side than the G side for the same reason as you describe with your Dean.

4. It's most likely a pickup height issue so try that out. My p-ups are also lower on the E string side to compensate for the volume of the E.