Dean vs. Schecter Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by timidbassist, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Ok, so im looking for a cool new fiver, cept i dont have the money for a Sadowsky or any custom shop one just yet being im still a 16 year old youngen. So i was looking for something better than the normal, but not quite custom shop level, so around the 1000 range. I have come across to different basses that i really like in this range. The Dean Edge Pro 5 and teh Schecter Stelleto Elite 5. Does anyone know anything about either of these basses or companies? I havent heard much about Specters anywhere so i guess they arent too popular, but Dean seems to be pretty popular. Just want some input on the two of them. They are both kind of the look of a bass that im going for, and both the type of electronics/pups im looking for as well, both are neck-through, and are both in my price range. Which one is better? Whats bad about these basses? Any help would be AWESOME! Thanks in advance.
  2. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    It really depends on what you are going to play. I have Dean Improv that was hand made in the Check republic, in the same factory that the $3000 spectors are made. It is neck thru. It is simply amazing. The Schecters are very nice also. I almost bought a custom shop a month ago. Here are some picks of the dean. PM me if you would like more info on it. I just bought a MM. Thanks Joe
  3. Nice bass, but the Dean that im looking at is the Edge Pro 5 mainly because of the tigers eye paintjob! I love that paintjob, so if i get a Dean thats what i would get. Thanks!
  4. Anybody use either of these?
  5. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Although I've never owned any. But I've played both brands. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Dean.

I'm still gassing for the hammer 10.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dean's are okay but I think you need to check these out from Schecter!! And yes they come in 5 strings too!

7. schecter recently announced a new stiletto exotic line for about a thou'.

I play a stiletto studio 5, and it's very nice, but I can't necessarily say it's better than the deans in the same price range.
  8. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I'm not selling it. I was just showing you the quality that dean can produce. You can pick up an edge pro for around $400. I am still looking for a used sledgehammer 5. Good luck. Later Joe

9. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I REALLY like the Schecter stillieto studios. I was going to get a new one but didn't end up going in that direction. They look really good, play rather nicely and you can upgrade to active EMG's so easily (I prefer the active ones).
  10. I vote Schecter. I have never picked up a poorly setup or malfunctioning Schecter in any of the music stores I've ever been to. The studio has a 3-band eq, neck through construction, nice finish, and a nice neck. I would really have gotten one if it was in the right place at the right time.
  11. You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the input!
  12. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I've owned a couple of Dean basses...they rock. Wouldn't hesitate to play/own one again.