1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dean Z (Explorer) Refinish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crane, May 16, 2011.

1. Crane

Crane

May 26, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I've always loved the explorer shape, and got a chance to get a dean z for cheap ($110). I've filed the fret sides down and set it up, and its actually a pretty good player, but I got tired of the black everything. Shows scratches, fingerprints and everything else. Plus it looks a bit too metal for my current band, which generally plays covers of more popular songs. So why not refinish it and make it flashier?
    Starting disassembly:
    IMG_1160.
    Chips in finish filled, prepped for paint with 400 grit sandpaper, cleaned with a tack rag and alcohol:
    IMG_1166.
    Paint to go on it, a flat black base coat, a blue/purple color changing coat, and clear coat:
    IMG_1168.
    After 5 coats of flat black base coat and tack ragging again:
    IMG_1169.
    So far this has already been the best spray paint job I've done, so I'm excited to see the results once its all done. I'll be spraying the color shifting coat tomorrow morning, after the black completely dries, most likely, so I'll post pics once its on. I've also ordered white pearl block inlay stickers for the neck, so I'll see if they're any good whenever they get here.

I'm also considering some stripes of some kind on the upper or lower "points", any cool explorer paint jobs that anyone has pics of?

2. I used the same colorshifting paint you did, and it turned out awesome for me. Mine was green to purple though.

3. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    That will look killer! I might do something similar to my dean.

4. Crane

Crane

May 26, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Can't tell the color change because of the crappy lighting, and not the greatest spray job, but I'm still working on it
    Partway through clearcoat:
    IMG_1175.

5. Gonna do the headstock matching?

6. Crane

Crane

May 26, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Not this time, although I may do it in the future, along with some gold hardware, if I decide I want to dump more money on this bass lol

Some trying to capture the color shift (hard to take good pictures of):
    IMG_1178.
    Blue:
    IMG_1181.
    Purple:
    IMG_1182.
    All done for now, its not perfect, but I'm happy with it:
    IMG_1184.