1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

dean

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkpotatochip, Nov 28, 2006.

1. darkpotatochip

darkpotatochip

Nov 28, 2006
    hi, i was just wondering what you guys thought of the dean razor bass. Hows the tone versatility wise? Is it good for slapping? rock? blues? any input would be greatly appreciated. here are some pictures of the one i was thinking of getting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Dont know about that model, but I have a Dean Q4 thats built like crap.

3. darkpotatochip

darkpotatochip

Nov 28, 2006
    so would you say all dean basses are crap?

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've been impressed with Every Dean I've ever experienced for the price they're asking. I owned a 5 string Edge for a few years and it was an outstanding instrument all around. I read a very flattering review of the Razor when it came out in Bass Player magazine.

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I own an Edge 1 and it definitely is not built like crap. It is put together very well and plays effortlessly. It also sounds great. It's good for just about anything you want to play. I can't say how it slaps though because I am not a slapper. But it's a good, useable, fun-to-play, inexpensive bass.

6. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Absolutly not, just be careful. So you dont get a neckjoint like this........

000_0021-1.

Also the neck had to be adjusted constantly, I did however play the mess out of it.:bassist:

7. Check out a Dean Bromberg edition. They are made well and sound fantastic. I bought a factory second 5er just to use the electronics and Piezo bridge for a project bass I'm building.

8. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    I bought a Dean Edge 09 Mahogany new for $120.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Edge-09-4String-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=519941

How can they sell sell a mahogany bass for that much? Well.... It's an "asian" mahogany. The name escapes me now, (it began with the letter "p")

But I digress.

I didn't like the sprayed on mahogany color, so I stripped it, pulled out the pups and electronics put in two Carvin HB4 MM Pickups with new pots. Added a Schaller Bridge.

The wood looks spectacular. I tung oiled the body and back of neck with Minwax tung oil.

It sounds BIG. Major Thump. The neck is thin like a Ibanex or Peavey millenium. Getting a little buzzing on the frets, but I like high action and it's not a problem for me.

A fun bass to play and it has mucho Balls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regards,

Mike