Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    Hi, does anyone here know how the Dean Edge 4 is? Is it any better than the mim jazz, ibanez sr300dx or the cort curbow 4?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Of course, this is a total matter of opinion, I think the Dean Edge 4 is better than the MIM Fender & Sr-300 DX. I've never played a Cort Curbow 4.

The necks on the 3 basses are similar J neck (slim @ the nut & wider @ the heel). I feel that the EMG-HZ p/u's are better than the p/u's in the other 2.

Of course you can upgrade, but you also have more options w/the Dean. If you want to put EMG's, you can go with the EMG-35 P, EMG-35 J, EMG-35 DC or the EMG-35 CS. you can do any combo!!! Put a BTS system in it, & you're rocking. In the fender you can only put J p/u's & the Ibanez only a P/J p/u's in it.

Also, the Dean comes in nice trans-colors. Fender dosen't but I'm not sure on the Ibanez.

All in all, I like the Dean stock better. :)

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The Fender will be much easier to upgrade, and will be much easier to sell if you should ever want something else.

4. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nino, I think that what Turock meant is while there are maybe 3 or 4 soapbars on the market to retrofit the Dean with, there are darn near a hundred different retrofit pickups for the Jazz bass, ranging from passive single coil to humbucking quad coils, made by 20 - 30 companies.

I would guess that over 60% of all aftermarket pickups sold are Jazz style, whether they be active, passive, humbucking, single coil, whatever.

I don't really care for the Dean's, although I do like the 4 better than the 5 or 6, but if I were buying a bass with the intention of leaving it stock, I would buy the Dean.

If I were buying a bass to play now, and hot rod later, I would buy a MIM Jazz. But I would make sure and play as many as I could and buy the best one.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    embellisher, that is what I meant, but not just pickups, all the parts. Most everybody that sells bass parts sells Fender parts... tuners, bridges, necks, knobs, control plates, etc.

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Ok. :) But you can get tuners & bridges just as easy, i.e. tuners, bridges Schaller, Gotoh, BadAss. Knobs are knobs, control covers can be cut. I agree on the neck, you could get a Fender style neck where ever you look. I understand about the pick ups. There are alot of different companies that make J replacements. I'm just an EMG guy!!! :)

8. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    i just dont get it. i want to get a fender mim jazz or a dean. people say to get the fender cuz u can change the necks. But, the necks cost $50 (350) more than the bass itself. Does it make sense?

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Read my post again.

10. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    oh yeh one more thing, what music could this dean play? What does "quilted" mean? Wheres the best price for one of these axes?

11. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    is there a website for the dean basses im really interested in these

12. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    those look very similiar to ibanez.......
    can one expect them to sound the same?