Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DEANs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 2, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    unfortunately Dean basses are not available here in italy. i'm interested both in their 5 string models and in their 8 string Rhapsody bass. what's your comment on these?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a 5 string Korean made Dean Edge fretless and I love it. If you can get one imported for a good price go for it! Good quality construction, decent pickups, great neck, good hardware. Can't beat it for the price.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree w/Phil. I work @ a Dean Dealer & get to play alot of them. IMO the cheaper stuff is a better value than the more expensive ones. I've played a few Czech Edge basses (made in same factory as Czech Spectors) & I didn't like them @ ALL!!!!! They felt "cheap". The Edge 4's & 5's are nice & are not too expensive. I have a Rhapsody 8 & I like it alot. I haven't brought it to rehearsal yet.

The only thing I don't like about the Rhap 5's & Edge 5's is that the string spacing is REALLY tight. Other than that, they're GREAT!!!!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The only other thing that I don't like about the Edge 5's besides what Nino mentioned is that the B string on them is really loose.

5. I have a Dean Edge 4 and it's sweet! I think the best thing about it is the 5 piece maple and walnut neck, and the grover tuners. very good deal for the price. I've also got an MLX7 guitar, and I bought a Performer acoustic for my wife. they're both awesome for what we use them for.

I've only messed around with the 5 string and the Rhapsody 8. I spent a good 20 minutes on the Rhap. 8 and was very pleased with the sound and playabillity. although the one I played had a little static type sound everytime you wiggled the cord going into the input jack. this could be the result of an abused floor model or bad cord though.

bottom line; the Korean made Dean's are some of the best "bang for the buck" instraments going.